Logo

2000 Mercury 75ELPTO no spark

rryanstrickland

Hey guys,

Newbie here. She started perfectly this morning. Then a guy came by to look at the boat to buy and now it wont start (how embarrassing). I'm not getting any spark to any cylinder. I can't find much info on this motor online. I suspect the "trigger" device under the flywheel or the kill switch circuit.

I ohmed out the Black, Purple, White, and Brown wires from the "trigger" under the flywheel and get nothing between any wire.?

Anybody know how to disable the kill-switch circuit temporarily? I found something on the net about cutting a black/yellow wire on each coil pack to see if it starts sparking...??? Is there a 'Main" wire I can disconnect? I assume the kill-switch circuit grounds out the ignition system of something?

She has never given me any problems whatsoever....
Any help is much appreciated! :)

Thanks
Ryan

So I just found some more resources (an older manual online). And it said to Ohm out the stator wires. Green/White and White/Green and should be around 700 Ohms. I get nothing...open. So I'm thinking stator... Now to pull the flywheel...

Flyingscott. That' the first thing I checked. With keyswitch ON, the Black/yellow wire going into each coil was open to ground. So I went to step #2 which was to Ohm out the Green/White and White/Green on the stator...
Pontoon.jpg

Sooo. I got a new aftermarket Caltric brand stator and the wire colors are different. ��
it has the same 2 yellow wires that go to regulator. But instead of Green/White and White/Green it has Green and Brown. These are the charging wires for the CDM’s. But does it matter which wire goes where? According to the electrical drawings they all go to the same point in each CDM. I just didn’t know if polarity matters. I doubt it because this is an AC voltage coming from the stator.

What y’all think? Thanks

Engine not reviving past 3,000 RPM’s!?

So after guessing which of the two CDI stator wires went where, she fired right up. Revs on the hose beautifully. However at the lake today, she wouldn’t rev past 3000 RPM’s under load. And not much power. Y’all think it’s the cheap Caltric aftermarket stator?
*I tried the Green/White and White/Green wires swapped and no difference.

Any ideas?
-check spark level at all three plugs?
-timing/trigger seems to be operating and moving freely.
-just put new fuel filter on her with clear sight glass to check for water.
-and just filled up 30 gallons of non-ethanol gas today. 90 Octane as always.

Only thing that’s changed since last year is cheapo stator and new fuel filter/water separator.

Thanks!

Not sure if THAT stator has a low and high speed set of coils. If so, it would appear the high speed coils are either wired up wrong or defective.

You need to get the wiring color deal sorted out.

Jeff

The factory “red” stator has 2 yellow and a Green/White and White/Green wires coming out of the stator. This cheap caltric stator has the 2 yellow and a Green and a Brown. The yellow wires are the AC output to the rectifier. The Brown and the Green are supposed to be the output to the CDM’s. I swapped them with no difference...?

I don’t think it has any high and low speed capability.

So I bought a DVA multimeter adapter and measured the stator output to the coils. It measured 285 volts to each CDM (coil). Strong spark on cylinder 2 and 3. Fairly strong spark on cylinder 1 (a small difference). But the motor doesn’t really respond to me pulling the top #1 cylinder plug. Changed plugs and all seem wet like their getting fuel. But I’ll have to take he back to the lake to test under load...

I don’t think it has any high and low speed capability.

So I bought a DVA multimeter adapter and measured the stator output to the coils. It measured 285 volts to each CDM (coil). Strong spark on cylinder 2 and 3. Fairly strong spark on cylinder 1 (a small difference). But the motor doesn’t really respond to me pulling the top #1 cylinder plug. Changed plugs and all seem wet like their getting fuel. But I’ll have to take he back to the lake to test under load...

Sorry to bring this up again.

I am having the exactly same problem and a newbie to boating.

I took my boat out for a test run on the water last week, the stator may got some water from the ocean as I mounted the fish finder way too low and it has a big roster tail. Anyways, after the water got into the flywheel, my engines stopped in the following 2 mins... I could not start it anymore....

I took her home and found out the four plugs has not sparks whatsoever, I replaced the starter, solenoid and still no sparks. I suspect its the stator.

I wonder have you figure out what the problem was?

TIA

Back