Logo

Hard start at first but start fine when hot

Rejean22

Been trying to solve this for a while. Took it to the dealer and they did a carb clean and recommended a new fuel line. It takes 5 to 6 cranks before it will start when cold and often the result is that it's flooded. Is it possible the coils don't hold their charge or could it be the stator plate is defective? How would I test these 2 items. Tired of paying money and the problem is not solved.:confused::confused:

Sorry, I'm new at this and I thought I was posting on the Honda forum. The engine is a Honda 25hp and I believe it's 2010. It's a four stroke with carburetor.

Last edited:
To be helped, you need to post the details on your Honda 25 HP outboard, post the model and serial number as it appears on the motor. The exact year is needed to know what parts it has.

Did you put a new fuel line on it? Do you pump the fuel bulb until its hard before starting it cold?

Hi Rejean22,

Welcome to the forum.

You can answer this without being with the outboard; is it electric start or pull start only?

Hi Rejean22,

Welcome to the forum.

You can answer this without being with the outboard; is it electric start or pull start only?

Ok...how far do you pull the choke out when it's cold? Or, you may just want to describe how you go about trying to start it when it's cold. I have some ideas about what might be occurring but I will wait until you can provide a bit more info. Take your time, we aren't going anywhere and we all would like to see you get her running right.

Also, and again, as soon as you can get to it, please list the brand and part number of the spark plugs that are in it now. Hopefully you are running NGK DR7EA plugs. NGK just work the best in Honda engines.

Jimmy,

If it is truly a 2010, then there is not choke....just bystarter.

Hopefully, before they did the carbs, they checked compression and spark. Then once they finished....vacuum balanced the carbs.

That engine should start on the first pull.

We service several used by fire rescue teams. Once I finish the carbs on them, they have to start on the first pull.....I only have one good pull in me.

That serial number will tell us exactly what he has.

Mike

Knowing what he does to start it will definitely help us toward a solution.

I always pull the choke all the way. And I do use NGK plugs and they are brand new. It usually takes between 5 to 7 pulls to get it started. I don't think it's fuel issue as it sometimes flood trying to start it. But who knows, at this point I plane to replace all fuel line awful filter. It really feels like I have no ignition and that's why I suspect either the coils or the the stator plate. I just don't know how to test them. I am now 65 and pulling on that thing 5 to 7 times is getting harder and harder. Any recommendation you might have would be helpful.

By the fact that you have a manual choke, indicates that the motor is a 2003 or older.

Besides pulling out the choke, do you advance the throttle as far as you can? It may look like you are advancing past the "start" mark on the handle. If you do not advance it all the way, it will not get enough air and will flood, as you are surmising.

If it starts ok once it is warmed up, then the coils and stator are probably ok. Also, bad fuel lines, would cause more of an issue running all the time, not just at start.
The key is to squeeze the fuel bulb until it is hard, pull out the choke all the way, advance the throttle alhe way until it stops and pull like hell. Of course, you know about the last part.

I know what you mean about getting older, I'm 71 and that is why I make sure they start the first time.

Mike

I have never tried putting the throttle all the way. I will try that. Thanks for your suggestions. I won't get back home for a while but will let you know if that works.

When I say throttle all the way up....normally, on those motors, there is a stop that keeps you from getting to complete full throttle. Just take it to the stop. You should only be able to get true full throttle when the motor is in gear.

If for some reason, there is no stop, opening it up about half way will probably be just fine.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I feel better now that you're on the case.

Rejean22, hondadude is the BEST. Follow his advice and you can't go wrong.

Have you tried starting it without pulling the choke/primer? Sounds to me like your just flooding it right off the bat. Dont connect the fuel line until your ready to start it pump the primer until firm and pull the rope. Let it run out of fuel before you lift the motor just disconnect the fuel line and let it run dry. You will get to know the motor eventually.

Back