Logo

1999 Mercury 225 EFI 4 Beep Issue

BigBob001

Could really use some help, been working on this for some time but cannot figure it out. Took it to one dealer but they could not fix it.

I get the dreaded 4 beeps from my motor, here is what I have tried:
1. Low oil switch tested OK, checked wires to ECM connector - Good
2. Water sensor tested good, also reading 10VDC at connector
3. Head temperature sensor, good, reads 1.8K
4. Air temperature sensor test OK, reads 16K
5. Changed ECM module (bottom module), still 4 beeps
6. Tried disconnecting Water sensor, Air temp, MAP sensor, bypass water sensor, still get 4 beeps

Motor runs perfectly but gets 4 beeps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, just do not know where to go from here.
Thanks

Temporarily bypass the oil tank sensor and see if the issue goes away. If it does, change the oil tank. The sensors never(rarely) fail. It is usually the float in the tank that gets heavy with oil and sinks to the bottom.

Thanks for your response, I did that in #1. I bypassed switch but no change. I verified the signals were getting to the ECM also.
Bob

Thanks for your response, I did that in #1. I bypassed switch but no change. I verified the signals were getting to the ECM also.
Bob
So you disconnected the oil tank sensor wires from the engine and connected the two wires on the engine side together and ran the engine and you still had an alarm?

Do this to the reserve oil tank too if it has a sensor.

FYI The engine mounted tank has to be completely full.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your replies. I disconnected the sensor and tested the sensor it is working perfectly. Tank is filled with oil. I also shorted the two wires going to the ECM and tested. Lastly I unplug the connector on the ECM just to make sure the shorted wires signal was getting back to the ECM and the connector look good. I feel confident it is not the oil reservoir. The main reservoir in the boat does not have a sensor. Thanks, Bob

Tried a fully charged battery connected directly to the motor (bypass switch and cabels) and did not solve the issue.

The TPS sensor was slightly out of tolerance so I adjusted it, did not solve the issue.

Just FYI, the motor does NOT need to be running to get the 4 beeps, just must have the key on.

Bob

Now, Bypass the oil tank sensor and disconnect the wire on the filter and see if you still have an alarm. They both may be setting an alarm at the same time, rare to happen but it does.

Just to clarify. You do not have an oil level senor in the remote oil tank? No wires to it.

All of my testing has been done with the wire disconnected from the filter, the water sensor wire. Therefore, I have bypassed the water sensor and the oil level sensor at the same time.

Also, there is no wires going to the oil tank in the boat.

I really appreciate any input, I am stumped.

Almost sounds like a ‘TPS no adapt.’ Has anyone tried to lower the idle by adjusting the throttle plate stop screw? If the ecm/pcm sees that the plates are out of range then you may get four beeps without performance loss. I’d like to verify the tps is within range with cds.

Have not tried to lower the idle by adjusting the throttle plate stop screw. I did adjust the TPS sensor slightly. I do not have access to a CDS but I plan to take the motor in for repair as soon as a certain local Mercury dealer has available time. Should be a few weeks. Someone recommended this dealer, it is farther away but I just want it fixed.

I did take it to another dealer couple years ago but pulled the boat without resolution.

Thanks!

Do you have the quad warning light on your helm. If it was the TPS this light would flash.....

What is the time frame between the end of one Four Beep warning and the start of the next four beep warning?

I think I have the quad light on the dash and a couple of them come on when I turn the key on initially. However when the alarm sounds none of the lights light up.

Time between the four beeps seems to vary. I would like to say it is always a couple of minutes but seems longer sometimes but never shorter. If it is critical reply and let me know and I will measure the time.

Could really use some help, been working on this for some time but cannot figure it out. Took it to one dealer but they could not fix it.

I get the dreaded 4 beeps from my motor, here is what I have tried:
1. Low oil switch tested OK, checked wires to ECM connector - Good
2. Water sensor tested good, also reading 10VDC at connector
3. Head temperature sensor, good, reads 1.8K
4. Air temperature sensor test OK, reads 16K
5. Changed ECM module (bottom module), still 4 beeps
6. Tried disconnecting Water sensor, Air temp, MAP sensor, bypass water sensor, still get 4 beeps

Motor runs perfectly but gets 4 beeps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, just do not know where to go from here.
Thanks
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same issue with motor off also. 4 beeps.

Back