Logo

no thrust washer on prop nut? DP-SM

It looks like they are two piece props and the nuts press the bushings into the props. Thrust washers would be in front of the prop it looks like the prop is set directly to the shaft up front no washer necessary? Ricardo will know i imagine the nuts must be the proper torque?

Was doing a lube change today and noticed there is no thrust washer behind the rear prop, the nut just goes straight on to the prop shaft-

is this correct?

I did not specialize in the Gimbal suspension drives, such as your DP-SM drive...... only the AQ series.

The AQ series Duo Prop set requires a thrust washer ahead of each propeller, not behind each propeller.

The FWD propeller follows the installation of the FWD prop thrust washer. This washer is absolutely necessary. If it is NOT installed, the prop will thrust forward against the prop shaft bearing carrier housing causing severe and expensive damage.

The AFT propeller follows the installation of the AFT prop thrust washer. This washer is also absolutely necessary.

However........... for the DP-SM prop set, I cannot find anything showing the thrust washers.
If you cannot see where either prop has rubbed against a surface, you are likely OK.

According to the diagram here there is no mentioning either..

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746010-44-36847.aspx

View attachment 17001

This diagram is showing the propeller housings and inner hubs.
You will not need to be concerned about the inner hubs, unless you were to have them re-hubed.

Here is an image of the AQ series Duo Prop thrust washers.
This is NOT the same as your DP-SM drive.

Attachments

• Duo Prop hardware and order.jpg
    Duo Prop hardware and order.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 114
Thanks guys - I probably used the wrong terminology. I meant the thick washer that sits on the back of the prop before the nut. According to the volvo tool specs I got the first nut is roughly 25ft lbs and the rear one around 40 iirc- Ill have to check again. Was real tough getting it off!

Thanks guys - I probably used the wrong terminology. I meant the thick washer that sits on the back of the prop before the nut. According to the volvo tool specs I got the first nut is roughly 25ft lbs and the rear one around 40 iirc- Ill have to check again. Was real tough getting it off!

We should be removing, cleaning the greasing splines (both shaft splines and inner hub splines) at least once annually.

Sad to say, but I have had to cut off some beautiful DP propellers over the years..... all due to corrosion that formed because the owner was not doing this maintenance work.

Back