Logo

Mercury 1972 4 HP Bearing Carrier Tool

A piece of pipe the right diameter with some key stock welded on can be used to remove the nut.---The nut is left hand.----Salt water motor ?

You should be able to pop the propshaft seal out with some sheet metal screws and a pair of vice grips? If the shaft has a groove in it dont press the new seal in all the way just make sure its nice and square to the shaft. Put some thread locker on a q tip and put a light coat on the seat for the seal careful not to get any on the shaft.

I have the tool but it has been my experience with those older gearboxes if that nut has not been removed it may well never come off. The cover nut is reverse thread and once you get the nut off GL pulling the carrier. I will look for the part #

Once the nut is off you put the propshaft in a hefty vice.------Then bump the housing with a rubber mallet to pull out the works.---Bearing carrier is expensive.

Last edited:
I use the prop as a puller and it works great! Stick some plywood between the prop and the housing and tighten the prop nut. You'll need some ingenuity, and a series of washers/spacers, to keep from bottoming out the nut.

Jeff

Back