Logo

Wide Open - how often

matta0413

Contributing Member
I tried to search but could not find anything. I typically do not like to run my boats very hard. After only one season with inboards I realize that aside from the sea trial I have never run the boat wide open. In all of my years with 2 stroke outboards where I opened her up every time out for a minute or so, is there any benefit to doing that with the inboards? I have Crusader 8.1's which is plenty of power for my boat, I cruise at 3200 (22-23 knots). The motors are hardly working at 3200.

There are a few threads on this topic....There's really no 'benefit' other than to make sure 'the whole' is still in good shape. being able to hit your WOT setting lets you know that the bottom growth hasn't gotten significant, props are still serviceable, engine tune is acceptable, etc. The longer you run at WOT, the shorter the useful life of the engines.

Thanks Mark. I use the boat often, and sand and paint the bottom each year so bottom growth is not usually an issue and the props were just tuned. So really not realy benefit to open it up that often. I like the "It last longer the less you do it" aspect.

there used to be a surveyor named David Pascoe that had a www site.....a fan of crusader's....and he had a multipage article on the whole gas vs diesel debate....In my decades on the water, I can vouch for probably 95% of what he wrote.....makes for good reading on a winter day....

From discussions I've had with several factory engineers... engine life goes from 10s of hours at continuous wide open throttle in raw water cooled engines, to thousands of hours with "FWC" engines at 70% of observed (assuming you can reach spec'd WOT range) max RPMs. Personally, I run at WOT three times a year for about 10 seconds each... after launch, mid season and on the way to haul out.

Run it at max spark advance to extend engine life usually around 3/4 throttle. You get the best fuel economy as well. Outboard and inboard engines.

The guy I learned boat handling from was a firm believer that taking it easy on the boat and engine was the best way to go. When the other fisherman were repowering we just kept on going with no issues and we would have less repairs all around.

Back