Logo

Johnson 3hp Internal Tank Leaking

Cos_man99

Hello All,

I have a 1993 Johnson 3hp outboard with the internal tank. If I remove the engine from the boat and store it on its back (which I think is the correct way) any remaining fuel in the tank leaks out. When I'm ready to hook the engine onto the transom of the boat all the fuel that was in the tank pours out the lower unit. I'm assuming it is leaking into the cylinders and exiting through the exhaust when stood on end. Am I correct on this and would a new needle and seat fix this issue? Anywhere else you think I should investigate? I store the engine on board our large boat and it makes a mess when I try to hook it up to the dinghy.

Thanks so much.

Michael

Assuming that fuel does not leak out of the fill cap... If that engine does not incorporate a shut off valve and if the supply hose from the tank to the carburetor is flexible (rubber, whatever)... clamp it shut with a small "C" Clamp, miniature vice grips, something. The alternative would be to keep the fuel in a separate container when not in use.

So, I guess you are saying that motor does not have a fuel shut-off valve? How cheap! Anyhoo, a needle and seat cannot be expected to hold if the motor is lying down. Any way you can install a shut-off valve? A local lawn mower shop should have a variety to choose from.

So, I guess you are saying that motor does not have a fuel shut-off valve? How cheap! Anyhoo, a needle and seat cannot be expected to hold if the motor is lying down. Any way you can install a shut-off valve? A local lawn mower shop should have a variety to choose from.

No, I'm not saying that.... I said "If that engine does not incorporate a shut off valve"............. indicating that I don't know one way or the other as I retired in 1991 and do not have the 1993 book.

If one is included on that engine... and they usually are, it should be evidently apparent.

No, I'm not saying that.... I said "If that engine does not incorporate a shut off valve"............. indicating that I don't know one way or the other as I retired in 1991 and do not have the 1993 book.

If one is included on that engine... and they usually are, it should be evidently apparent.

Joe, the comment was meant to be directed to the OP, not you. But your reply is appreciated anyway.

Back