Logo

Push button start and kill

Blobis

Ok, I must be a internet'tard, cause for the life of me I cannot find a rubber push button start switch with only 2 post, and a rubber push button kill switch with 2 post like the original. for a 1988-1990 Evinrude 15 Hp.

These are not that easy to locate actually.
For the starter button don't try the crappy automotive one you will find at Pep Boys or other auto store, they will last the time of one start. You need Marine grade metal on these switches.
I have found a push button start (brass) at a flea market for a few bucks, and it is still on the motor (a 9.9 same as 15 hp) and working great. (I believe it was made for a gas powered golf cart)
I also found some (marine grade) at a Ace Hardware store.

As to the kill switch, the only way you will find a push button one I'm afraid is used from an old motor. Seems like they've all been replaced with this annoying lanyard attached one, and can be bought for a few bucks on the bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...her-Lanyard-/182737836192?hash=item2a8c0618a0

Last edited:
Don't know, the plate on the shaft is gone, and the welch plug # is G3099323, witch dose'nt help me at all. just going off pictures and diagrams that match.

The factory start button on those 15 hp motors is true " heavy duty " as full starter amperage goes through it.----Visit a dealer or look into a solenoid to take the heavy current !!

There is a huge cost involved in spare parts.-----Wharehousing / identifying / packaging / shipping one item ETC, ETC.-------That is why a 19 cent bolt is listed at $ 8.00 or more.----Nobody is making a lot of money selling small replacement parts one at a time !!!

There is a huge cost involved in spare parts.-----Wharehousing / identifying / packaging / shipping one item ETC, ETC.-------That is why a 19 cent bolt is listed at $ 8.00 or more.----Nobody is making a lot of money selling small replacement parts one at a time !!!
I understand.
With that said, if I find an acceptable replacement, identical in features and priced around 80% down from the OEM part, my thought and analysis of the situation leading to a purchasing decision, will take about 0.75 seconds. And that's because I'm over 50 now. Takes me longer to react. lmao
That's the beauty of competition in a free market (for consumers that is).

Last edited:
We as a company host the forum for free exchange of information and help in repair procedures. When you post links to products that are offered by another retailer it's a bit of a discourtesy. We after all, do not sell hammers and screwdrivers. Thank you.

We as a company host the forum for free exchange of information and help in repair procedures. When you post links to products that are offered by another retailer it's a bit of a discourtesy. We after all, do not sell hammers and screwdrivers. Thank you.

Duly noted, thank you.

I will only add that while I understand the sponsorship constraints, vital to such a company, that precluding the dissemination of public commercial information limits the general conversation, and assistance to other private parties, to PM's only, and I certainly will comply.

I purchased a heavy duty rubber covered push button at a local auto parts store for my 15hp rude several years ago no problems,works great. Fit the hole fine. Good luck

Back