Logo

No power to tilt/trim or start circuit Johnson 110

Rileym1989

Hi everyone. I'm a first time boat owner that's having some issues so I figured this would be the place to get some help. I just picked up my first boat on Saturday, it's a 24ft pontoon with a 110hp oil injected Johnson and omc controls. When I first looked at the boat, everything worked. The p.o. started it up and showed me it spun the prop both directions and the power tilt worked without issue. After I decided to buy it, i raised the outboard with the trim switch for transport, then hit the down button to lower it on the locks but nothing happened. The tilt would not move the engine up or down and now the key will not start the engine. I got the boat home and started messing with it but have had no luck finding a simple fix I was hoping for. I've checked the battery and connections which are fine and also checked the master battery switch which is working fine aswell. Am I missing something simple on this engine? All the lights work and so does the radio so I know it's getting power. I also can jump the starter and it will turn the motor over(I didn't do this long enough to see if it will start) so it seems the engine is well grounded and has good battery power. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Is the fuse a very small inline fuse? I found one that was an old glass inline fuse but it ohmed out ok. I can double check again tomorrow though. I will also get the engine number then aswell.

If you have 12v to the "M" terminal of the ignition switch and the fuse mentioned is okay.... jiggle the throttle handle as it's possible the neutral safety switch within the control box is slightly out of adjustment.

12 v to the "M" terminal. ????

Thank you Boobie..... That should of course have been "12v to the 'B' terminal".

How I managed to hit that "M" key (2 keys away) and not notice it is a mystery to me! 12v to that Mag terminal would destroy the power-pack.

I did not have an opportunity to work on the boat this last weekend due to a work callout. I will be working on the boat this weekend for sure so I will definetely post my findings, whether It's fixed or not. Thank you everyone for the help so far.

Got a chance to work on the boat today and replaced the fuse, Now everything is working as it should. Now I need to figure out what caused the issue but I'm betting it might be some wires pinching when the engine trims up. I'm also thinking I may replace the impeller inside the engine so I will be ordering a manual for the engine to help. How time consuming technical is this job? What are so.e good places to get a manual and the parts needed?

Back