Logo

Crusader 454: Air in raw water intake strainer (Starboard engine)

Lawlila

I have a new to me 84' Trojan 11meter Express with Crusader 454s. Just over 500hrs ea.. Closed cooling. After bringing her to her new home, I noticed the starboard raw water intake strainer was only half full of water and half full of air. The port side was still full of water. No overheating occurred. I was told the impellers were newer. The setup goes: Thru hull seacock, hose, valve, hose, strainer, hose, pump. I don't notice any leaks, but it appears that both the port and starboard strainers have been sealed with a black silicone/rubber substance, and I'm definitely not going to be opening them. Perhaps they were leaking at some point. Any ideas as to why there would be air in the strainer? While running the engine at the marina, I can clearly see water pumping and it seems to be maintaining/keeping up the half full scenario. The strainer is an older low profile brass with clear top and wingnut on top of that. Hoses look newer and the strainer only has minor debris. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The setup goes: Thru hull seacock, hose, valve, hose, strainer, hose, pump.

Ayuh,..... Sounds like a restriction at the pick-up, seacock, or hoses to the strainer,....

On a new to you boat, the 1st thing I'd do is replace the raw water pump impellers,....
Personally,....
I'd throw in Globe, run-dry impellers,...

You may also want to post your question on the Crusader Forum on this site. Go to top left of this page, click on Forum Home, then scroll down to the Crusader forum and make a new post there.

I'd be inclined to think the plumbing on the suction side of the pump isn't air-tight....

I'll expand on bondo's suggestion and say the raw water pumps should be given a major service inspection/overhaul....there are a few potential issues on the stock pumps that could lead to poor performance.

Ayuh,... How long has it been since the thru-hull has been cleaned, 'n inspected,..??

How long since the hull has been cleaned for that matter,..??

The boat was out of the water just over a year ago for cleaning and bottom paint. I borrowed a buddy's waterproof GoPro and attached it to a pole and was able to get a few decent video clips of the thru hulls to make sure I didn't have a clog and they look OK. It appears the bottom paint may have narrowed the slots slightly but I don't think enough to cause a problem. I'm going to scrub them with a nylon brush attached to a pole next. I ordered impellers and will do them after they arrive. I'll keep you posted with updates as I finish!

Back