Logo

Expert Johnson Advice

Block the propeller with a piece of wood.---Now try and turn the flywheel ?---Can you now turn the flywheel, yes or no ??

Hi,

I have stuck a large screwdriver in the flywheel about a week ago so it couldn't move and tried with two of my mates to turn the prop. Even with all 3 of us we couldn't get the prop to move.

I haven't tried blocking the prop with a piece of wood though would it be any different?

If I did block the prop with a piece of would i'm not sure how to turn the flywheel as it is a massive bolt on top I don't have sockets for.

Is there any other way to turn the flywheel as I'm sure I won't be able to do it by hand?

OK, so the cavitation plate is below the boat bottom. That is what the question was, and now with this information, we know that that is not the problem and can move on to something else.

No drive at all, eh? Then SOMETHING is not connected or is broken, or is not actually in gear. I am not there to examine it, so have no clue. Does it back up (reverse) when in the water? You are telling us that it shifts and you can see the prop spinning. That certainly sounds like the lower unit is functioning as it should. We are back to the prop---------? Maybe I should tell you to untie the dock lines (that's just a bit of humor, so don't take offense).

Ha ha ha nice last comment no offence taken mate and yes the dock line is untied.

No it does the same in reverse as it does in forward no movement at all.

Yeah can definitely see the prop change direction with ear muffs on in reverse and forward.

As far as the prop is concerned I can test it again but the marks i made on either side of the hub and prop never moved when in water.

Another person has suggested that maybe the solenoids in the lower unit are gummed up and maybe there pushing it into gear but not all the way and suggested I flush the lower gearbox. I'm not even sure how to do this?
Someone has suggested I put diesel in the lower unit and run it for a few minutes but I don't want to do any damage to the gearbox if there's nothing wrong with it?

What do you think?

One last try !!------Testing, testing must be done.---If you do not have the tools to turn the flywheel then borrow or rent them !!-------And how long have you owned it ??------Obviously the prop and lower unit are good.----Does it have the correct shift switch ??-----Is there 12 volts to the green wire with key turned on and control in forward , yes or no ?

The solenoids do not do the actual shifting .----The shift piston is moved by oil pressure.----The solenoids operate valves that direct the oil flow.------When did this happen ?---When did this motor last operate properly for you ???

I could borrow a socket big enough from work to see if the prop is slipping.

I inherited the boat from my grandfather who past away about 4mths ago. He hadn't used it in about 8yrs.

I have checked with a multimeter about 2 weeks ago and all the voltage is correct.

Not even sure where the switch shift is but the boat hasn't been touched in about 8yrs so it should still be correct.

I know it sounds silly but this boat has alot of sentimental value to me and I would love to get it going with the original motor my grandfather used. Keep thinking he would be looking down at me from heaven as I planed across the lake with my kids.

Seriously, attempting to test the prop by hand turning it or the flywheel is a waste of time unless it is slipping VERY badly, which you seem to indicate is the case. I don't think there is one among us that is as strong as 65 horses.

Again, you say the motor is shifting forward, neutral and reverse. So the shift switch and solenoids are doing what they are supposed to do. As far as I am concerned there is only one other possibility in the lower unit. There is a piston in the oil pump, which moves back and forth as the solenoids operate the flow control valves. That piston is connected to the clutch dog, which in turn engages forward or reverse gears. I suggested up front that that piston could be sticking (pretty common). But I reject that suggestion, because you say it is shifting and not doing any grinding or chattering.

Getting way far out in imagination, the teeth could all be stripped off the gears. Naw, no way. That would be serious grinding and metal pieces in the oil.

One thing all this proves is the average Joe has no understanding how the unit works. Maybe it is your good fortune that they refuse to work on it.

So when the motor is idling and you put it in forward the boat does not move at all ???-------Or does the motor stop ?----Motor keeps running ??-----Post a video ?

Yeah no grinding or chattering or any metal shavings in the gear oil.

Would it help to flush the lower gearbox to prevent the piston in the oil pump from sticking? if so how do i do it?

I think I might buy a prop and give it a go just one last try for my grandfather. Only problem is I dont know what prop I'm supposed to use. Any Ideas?

No the boat does not move at all and the motor just keeps running and when I increase the revs it still goes nowhere. Motor keeps running fine just boat goes nowhere.

Why did they make this model motor so complicated??

In reading all of the posts/replies over closely... what the bottom line boils down to is...................

You state in essence:

When the engine is not running, the prop is in forward gear, is locked in, will not turn.

When in the water, the prop is not turning regardless of the shift lever position.

The only way this could be possible would be that voltage is constantly being thrown to the neutral shift solenoid within the lower unit.

DO THIS NOW! At the starboard (right) rear portion of the powerhead, on that model possibly on the port (left) side..... find the two wires that lead to the lower unit. There will be a knife connector that you can easily disconnect on both wires. With those wires disconnected, the lower unit will be locked in forward gear.

In this condition, be aware that in the water, there will be no neutral or reverse... only forward so use extreme caution.

Let us know exactly what you encounter.

Last edited:
So just to be clear with the boat I will disconnect the two wires to the lower unit where the knife connectors are while the motor is running in the lake?

And the boat will still drive with these wires disconnected? I have taken the lower unit off so I know where exactly these wires are?

I will let u know how I go.

Many Thanks.

This lower unit is actually very simple in my opinion.-----Some will argue that fact.------It is beginning to sound like the lower unit needs to come apart for inspection.----Again a simple process in my opinion.

The gearbox goes into fwd with no power to the gearbox that is correct.. the engine is self sustaining it will run with a dead battery if you pull start it. Be careful if you start it with the wires disconnected it should start in gear and can throw you off the back of the boat at high idle.

Somewhere above, he said that it shifts between forward and reverse. Doesn't that mean the control, shift switch, and wires are all ok? And the mechanism in the lower unit is at least working, if only with no load.

This isn't making sense.

Disconnecting the wires to the gearbox will tell us if it is mechanical or electrical! I have heard you can put atf in to flush put the valves is that true?

Somewhere above, he said that it shifts between forward and reverse. Doesn't that mean the control, shift switch, and wires are all ok? And the mechanism in the lower unit is at least working, if only with no load............This isn't making sense.

Uh Huh! Makes one think doesn't it?

I'll try disconnecting the wires when I'm out on the lake and see if it pushes the boat at all when it is stuck in forward.

I appreciate everyone's help and I apologise that some members on this forum think I'm not clearly answering questions I'm doing the best I can with the limited knowledge I have concerning outboard motors and there components.

Post #21 "kicks a lot of water up in tub" But won't move the boat?? I'm no expert but, either he needs a prop or this is his entertainment..... :cool:

Its been two weeks hopefully he caught some fish?

He's in that Crocodile Dundee land so anything's possible. He did go to another site's forum (below) to start the problem from scratch... I answered... he acknowledged my presence... and that was the end of it.

http://www.johnsonoutboardforum.com/forum/general-discussion/johnson-outboard-parts-forum

Perhaps "oldschoolnc" (post 54) is on to something. There are various people in the world that seem to have nothing better to do... and like to play games, and waste our time in some misguided effort to feel superior. I've cornered a few in the past... may have been the same guy switching screen names. They're really to be pitied for their actual lack of mentality but I just don't have the time for that. Someday they may really have a problem and.... we'll see that little boy that cried wolf!

Hi Everyone,

I apologise for the delay I've been away with work. I finally had the chance to put the boat in the water this morning and disconnected the wires leading to the the lower leg which meant with no current the motor was stuck in first and still no drive at all. Boat just sat there in the lake revving out. Again lots of water churned up but no drive at all.

I'm really disappointed about all the chatter about myself having nothing better to do then waste my own time and yours. I have a family with 2 kids and have to travel frequently away for work so me not being able to give an update for a couple of weeks make people think I'm not genuinely asking for people with more knowledge then myself to help me????

Shame on these people maybe we're just more trusting in Australia in the land of the crocodile!!!

As far as some bloke going on about the prop i have tested that already.

And as far as me being fake at least I have the guts to use my real name as my member name instead of some ridiculous made up one!

I finally had the chance to put the boat in the water this morning and disconnected the wires leading to the the lower leg which meant with no current the motor was stuck in first and still no drive at all. Boat just sat there in the lake revving out. Again lots of water churned up but no drive at all. And as far as me being fake at least I use my real name as my member name instead of some made up one!

Real name here too Paul... and one of my favorite movies is "Crocodile Dundee".

We occasionally encounter Bull$h*t artist's here who really do have nothing better to do than waste out time... it is quite difficult to distinguish that type from one who is encountering a legitimate problem of impossible nature.

Both wires disconnected and stuck in first... assuming first means forward. Engine revs and goes no-wheres.

Your latest explanation indicates that you have either a sheared driveshaft, internal lower unit problem of some kind, or a slipping propeller. If one of us was there, we could pinpoint which one. As it stands however, you'll need to decide via a process of elimination.

As far as the entry on another site... that's quite alright and is a common problem solver process. I do that myself when having F150 problems. It was just puzzling to me that you answered my reply quickly and was never heard of again... until now. Hopefully, with the three choices given via my reply, you'll be able to pin this thing down.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
What is "churning up the water", The prop or exhaust? Does it move in reverse when wires are hooked up? Are you sure there are no chunks of metal in drained lower oil?
Many very skilled people have tried to help, but the symptoms of the problem do not make sense.... I agree with Joe's diagnosis. Good Luck.

Back