Logo

Bf225 2012 , keep doing o2 sensors

Jasoncop

Hi guys
Every so often 5-6 months I’m doing o2 sensors . Over here they are quiet expensive . My question is can I link the wires or do something so they are not in the equation, normally they go after I’m reversing around a bit to fast . I know this is probably not the best way to tackle it , but once u put new sensor in they don’t seem to last . Ps I have checked and replaced the gasket on housing , was ok
thanks Jason

HO2 sensors failing that often is really weird, and really expensive. As I posted in your other thread, how are you determining that it's the HO2 sensor? A fault code "1" could be a misfiring spark plug, a failing coil, or fuel pressure out of specs. My 2007 BF 225 is still running on the original HO2 sensor even after 2200 hours.

One thing that will blow an HO2 sensor is water getting up into your exhaust pipes. Your exhaust outlets on the back of the engine should be at least 5.9" above water level when the boat is at rest. The higher the better. Another issue is starting procedure: Once you start to crank the engine, you should keep cranking until it starts. "Bumping" the starter can suck water up into the exhaust tubes under certain circumstances. Finally, be sensitive about when and under what circumstances you turn off the engine while on the water, especially in high seas or a strong following sea. When the engine is running, even at idle, there is always a positive pressure on the exhaust tubes, which prevents water intrusion.

The first thing I would do is make sure that the HP fuel filter is good (change it if in doubt) and the fuel pump filter and screen on top of the fuel pump are clean. They all have an effect on fuel pressure. See items # 7 & 8 at:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2007 and Later/BF225AK0 XA/PIPING/parts.html

Then test the fuel pressure. You can do that through the fuel pressure relief bolt on the top of the HP fuel filter cover. That's part # 42 at:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...r/BF225AK0 XA/VAPOR SEPARATOR ASSY/parts.html
Fuel pressure should be between 42 and 49 psi.

I would also pull the spark plugs and inspect the electrodes for fouling, or an exceptionally clean plug, which would indicate water intrusion in that cylinder. If plugs are good, they should have a milk chocolate brown coating on them.

Next, I would closely inspect the wires from the ECU to the HO2 sensor - there are four, two for the heater element, and two for the sensor element - to make sure all connections are sparkling clean, and there are no chafes or rubs on the wires.

Finally, test the HO2 sensor itself. There is a specific (complex) procedure in the Honda Shop manual, but here is a link to a general testing procedure for HO2 sensors:
https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo...sHowTo&pageId= 0996b43f80a01215&subtitle=test

Hi guys
Every so often 5-6 months I’m doing o2 sensors . Over here they are quiet expensive . My question is can I link the wires or do something so they are not in the equation, normally they go after I’m reversing around a bit to fast . I know this is probably not the best way to tackle it , but once u put new sensor in they don’t seem to last . Ps I have checked and replaced the gasket on housing , was ok
thanks Jason
Hi Jasoncop,
I write from Italy and I live your same experience.
BF 250 and BF225 (after 2007) have the same o2 sensor 35655-ZY3-C01.

On my BF 250 five o2 sensors were broken in 360 hours, the first four lived about 40 hours each, the last about 200 hours.
I hope the greater life of the last is not accidental, I hope it is the result of a Honda attempt to solve the problem.
Certainly the problem has a solution because on my boat for 8 years and about 1000 hours was
mounted a BF225 (2004) that never had o2 sensor problems, but on my BF225 it was mounted the
35655-ZY3-013 sensor, which is very similar to o2 sensors mounted on cars, instead the
35655-ZY3-C01 sensor, which breaks frequently, is much smaller and certainly more fragile.

I would like to know if the last o2 sensors mounted on your outboard have had a longer life
Thanks

There is someone on this forum that posted an NKG equivalent HO2 sensor which was considerably less expensive if I recall correctly. Sorry I cannot recall who that was, but search this forum and see if you can find it.

As a side note, the HO2 sensor on my 2007 BF 225 is still the original at 2200 hours and no problems so far. I recently helped a buddy on pulling maintenance on his 2009 BF 225 with the original (22mm base) HO2 sensor and same story - original still good based on inspection of spark plugs.

Back