Logo

Price for a Parts Motor

Hello,

I think I've decided to try and sell my motor for a parts motor or if someone wants to repair it. I have searched online and there isn't much to go by. I am trying to figure out what I should sell it for or at least a ballpark.

2003 Honda BF225 w/ gauges, controls and steering if needed
700-800 hrs. I think (I need to have a mechanic check this because the digital hour meter on the gauge slowly faded away years ago)
I patched a hole in the block months ago that has held up so far and the valves are bent from my timing belt coming off while cruising.
Everything else is clean and in good shape ( I have records and receipts for the 7 years that I owned it)

What do you think I should get out of this? I know things are worth what people will pay for them so I am just trying to find a starting point.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you live? That makes a big difference.

If you're not willing to do it yourself, I would consider having a friendly mechanic part out the engine and sell the parts on eBay and split the income. You will get far more for the engine that way compared to selling the whole thing, plus shipping the whole 600 lb plus engine would be a serious PITA. The engine cover alone is worth a good bit, considering a new one costs well over $1200 (including new decals.) Consider other key parts that would be highly valued - upper cowlings, lower unit, prop, cylinder heads, tilt/trim mechanism, individual sensors, alternator, starter, ECU, intake manifold, VST, HP & LP fuel pumps, etc, etc. You can look up the cost of the parts on boats.net and discount them by, say, 50% to 60%.

Live just south of Tampa, Fl. Plenty of boating around here. Honda is the least of the motors I see here locally, but they do exist. I see them often on the mullet boats during the mullet run. I have two local Honda dealers, one a decent size and the other is a small shop mechanic. Maybe I should just part it out if you think I can get way more. I was thinking around $2500-$3000 if I sold it as a whole motor. Am I crazy thinking that price?

It's hard to say whether or not that is a reasonable price - depends on how bad somebody needs the parts. I would approach that smaller Honda shop and open up a discussion.

Back