Logo

freeze plug number ID help, please (before i waste my money!)

avionator

i'm sure you folks are bored of figuring out what engine is what. I am trying to purchase a replacement powerhead for my dad's '90 or'91 Evinrude 90hp outboard. A potential candidate for purchase has sent me a picture of the freeze plug on what we both think is the right year/model powerhead. But I want to be sure before i spend the money...

s-l1600.jpg

I can't seem to find out how to decode this. appears to be G9638938.

other images:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the help, folks!

The serial number is not much use.----What I can say is these motors were the same year after year.----What year does he say it is ???--- Ask the seller for the compression numbers on this powerhead !!----Ask if there is a warranty / money back policy too.----What is wrong with the engine you have now ??

Hi guys
this is my first time on the site. Just bought my first boat and need some parts for my Johnson 90hp V4 outboard. There is no model/serial plate so I have got the same problem only the number on the plug 40647053.
the guy I bought it from said it was 1984 but not sure.

Gear box seals as I think I am getting water in the oil but I would like to know the year. I will post photos when I get to the boat on friday.
thanks for the reply.

The serial number is not much use.----What I can say is these motors were the same year after year.----What year does he say it is ???--- Ask the seller for the compression numbers on this powerhead !!----Ask if there is a warranty / money back policy too.----What is wrong with the engine you have now ??
Current engine is a 90 or 91. Seller claims engine is early 90s, 100 to 115 compression on all 4. My current engine (well, my dad's) has deeply scored cylinder wall(s) and poor compression. It overheats after a short time at higher throttles, i think due to the damaged cylinder walls. Hoping to just swap powerheads then eventually rebuild the old one as a spare.

Back