Logo

Run only salt water

It is not caustic but periodically run it in a barrel with saltaway in it. If you flush it with fresh water after each use you should never have to chemical flush a engine. Even lake/river water is loaded with silt and minerals flush it either with themuffs or in a barrel until the thermostat opens and disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of fuel. Then your all set for the next outing. Always store it in the running position so it drain completely and check/change the gear oil to protect it from freezing.

Fresh water is the solvent for dissolving and flushing away salt. As for caustic or acid chemicals never do it. Well, maybe in an attempt to salvage an otherwise eaten-up motor with nothing to loose.

I bought a 1960 Johnsoin 3 H.P. this past January. It had a broken prop and skeg. I got a used gear case and 3 blade prop. When I tore down the gear case there was no gear lube to be found in the case but there was a bunch of corrosion and what looked like old wheel bearing grease on the inside. Do you suppose someone didn't have any gear lube and thought wheel bearing grease was OK? Anyway, I poured some muriatic acid into the gear case to clean it up. I was run in salt water before. I didn't keep the acid in the gear case for long at all - maybe 5 minutes, and then flushed it out with baking soda and water. I then decided to do the same thing to the cylinder block. I removed the cylinder head and worked in the kitchen sink (when my significant other was not home). I now have a very clean little 58 year old engine. I didn't and you shouldn't leave the acid in there too long (like overnight) because you run the risk of turning your engine into junk.

I don't suppose you noticed the reddish coating inside the cylinder block? That was put there to prevent corrosion. I would not put anything in there that might endanger or remove that coating.

I don't suppose you noticed the reddish coating inside the cylinder block? That was put there to prevent corrosion. I would not put anything in there that might endanger or remove that coating.

I do recall a reddish coating on the recesses in the cylinder head but none inside of the water jacket on the cylinder block. Hmmm. Too soon old, too late smart. Thanks for the info though. I'll remember that but there's little chance I'll refurbish another outboard in this lifetime.

I haven't done anything to it. I got the caustic idea from something I read on this forum from someone asking about cleaning with caustic solution. I plan to use saltaway.

Back