Logo

2007 BF90D tach reads zero but runs fine

hughj555

2007 BF90D tachometer reads zero but runs good?? It reads ok sometimes on initial start but after a few seconds it reads zero. No obvious wiring issues. Any ideas? Thanks

Hopefully, you can get it to fail for a while, so you can test it.

Here is a link to a Faria site that explains how to troubleshoot a tachometer. If you have 12v at the gauge and a signal voltage at the gauge, then the gauge is the problem. If not, then it is happy hunting. http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0100_Tachometers.pdf

If you have power but no signal, then trace the grey lead and all the connections between the tach and the engine. It is probably just a bad/corroded connection. There will be a connection where the tach wiring connects to the key switch harness; then where the key switch harness connects to the main wiring harness; then where the wiring harness connects to the engine (14 pin round connector); and then to the ECU.

Mike

I traced out the tach signal wire and couldn't find any issues. Fired it up and it's been working fine for a month. I must have wiggled the wire just right. I'm sure it will raise its head again at the least convienent time! Thanks for the help Mike

Hugh

Back