Logo

25 hp Evinrude questions etc

A

ArtVandelay

" I have recently acquired a 2

" I have recently acquired a 25 HP Evinrude "Whispering Power" Aquasonic outboard. First off, what oil mix should I use? (Someone has told me 50:1 but I would appreciate other opinions as I don't want to blow it up.)

Secondly what year is it? I can't find a model number anywhere. The serial number is: 25920-17747. Thanks for the help.

Last, what is the best way to reinforce the back of an old flat bottom aluminum boat. This is an older 16foot boat and has not had a motor on it for a while. The back does not appear to be the sturdiest and I don't want the motor to break the back of the boat when I throttle up to full speed. Thanks. "

" 94 evinrude 25HP pull start.

" 94 evinrude 25HP pull start. Is there a cold starting proceedure for this motor? I'm a second owner and I didn't get a manuel. Ive tried pumping the primer three to ten times and nothing seems to help. Once it fires off one time , it will crank on the first pull every time from then on, and run like a brand new one. Just getting it to start that first time before your arm gives out is the problem. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.
Frank "

"Art... That engine is a 1955

"Art... That engine is a 1955 25hp Evinrude and you can safely use the 50/1 fuel/oil mixture.
-----------------

Frank... Pump the fuel bulb until it's hard, then pull out the primer knob and leave it out. Move the throttle towards fast as far as it will go. Crank the engine... it should start within three pulls.

The primer knob actually does nothing when you pump it. It's simply a case of when it's in the out position, fuel is allowed to pass through it. When it's in the in position, fuel cannot pass through it. There is usually a middle way position too which is used when the engine does start.... allows the engine to run slightly rich until it warms up.

Joe
"

" Hey Joe, Thanks for writing,

" Hey Joe, Thanks for writing, I did like you said, pumped the bulb up tight, pulled the primer knob all the way out, I still had to snatch it about 15 times. Once it fired off, it runs like a new one and will crank on the first pull. Do you think somthing is wrong with the primer? "

"Frank.... Anything's poss

"Frank.... Anything's possible, but if there's a adjustable mixture screw at the top portion of the carburetor, back it out 1/4 turn to see if that makes a difference. If not, I would suspect that the carburetor needs cleaning.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Hey Joe, thanks for writing.

" Hey Joe, thanks for writing. I finally got time to try backing the screw out 1/4 like you said. I wasn,t sure which one, there's one located reccessed in a hole just above the throttle valve intake, and another one at an angle on the carborator body behind the intake hole. I tried the one behind at an angle, pumped the bulb tight, pulled the primer knob out, and pulled till my arm gave out. I held my hand over the carb intake like a choke and pulled one time and it fired off. I seen a freind do that. I'll try the one in the hole tomorrow if I have time unless you tell me not to, if that don't work, I'll put it in the shop. Thanks for writing "

"Frank.... That's a fixed

"Frank.... That's a fixed "non adjustable" jet in that hole above the throttle throat area.

Do this..... Find the small hose leading from the fuel primer to the top rear portion of the carburetor, or to the intake manifold. Remove the hose from that carb or manifold fitting. Pull the fuel primer knob out, then pump the fuel primer bulb..... fuel should shoot out that hose which would normally prime (choke) the engine as you crank it. If it does not, find out why.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Hey Joe, Sorry its been awhi

" Hey Joe, Sorry its been awhile, I had to get through the holidays. That hose your talking about splits in two after the leaves the primer knob. One line goes to the base of the carberator the other goes into the manifold. Fuel squirts out of both lines when the knob is pulled out. The knob moves freely when you have the lines disconnected. Do you think the fittings they connect to could be stopped up? Are there spring check balls in them? How do you suggest I possibly clean them? Thank you for your pateince. "

Back