Logo

NMEA 2000 question

kdhskiff

Hey guys, I have a new BF150 and want to run the NMEA 2000. I’m using a Garmin echomap plus 74CV. Do I only need Honda’s NMEA 2000 cable? Or is there something else? Appreciate any input on this, thanks!

You have to have a NMEA2000 network backbone, then you connect your devices to the network.

Here is an example of a basic NMEA2000 backbone.... https://www.amazon.com/NMEA-Network...&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+nmea+2000+starter+kit

Yes, it is basically a cable with power put to it...

Here is Garmin's NMEA2000 technical reference. http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/2250_TechnicalReferenceforGarminNMEA2000Products.pdf

Theoretically, there are voltage drop calculations to be sure that there is enough power for all your devices, however, if you are only connecting the Honda and youre fishfinder to it, I would not worry about it.

The main thing to remember is to put a terminating resistor at each end of the network and connect the devices to the network through a "T" connector. The "T's" can be located anywhere on the backbone, where it is convenient....or all together in one spot.

It all sounds more complicated that it really is..

Hope that helps.

Mike

All I'm interested in is engine data. I'm not connecting GPS, fuel flow,etc. Can I simply connect Honda's cable (#06328-ZZ3-760HE) to the back of the unit and go? Or is a backbone still needed? Thanks for the links and education!

I am pretty sure you need the backbone. I have never hooked up just one device. Call Garmin tech support and I am sure they would know.

Mike

If you have the digital gauges you should be able to just get the NMEA 0183 cable and make it plug and play. A fuel flow senser is a nice add onto monitor engine performance.

Did some digging (and learning)... I was curious why I could not simply connect Honda's data cable directly to the NMEA port on he back of the fishfinder/chartplotter. The answer is that the NMEA network provides for system power, which I did not fully understand. I get it now....Thanks all, and happy new year!

Back