Logo

2006 BF8A- shift lever went into reverse (by itself) while flushing. Now no forward/slight reverse

805bigdrake

While flushing my BF8A I always run out the gas at the very end per my mechanic. So at the very end, I increased the RPM slightly to make sure I get all the gas out. While at the slightly higher RPM the shift lever dropped into reverse all by itself (I swear) and now I have no forward and I can hear a slight grind and the prop slightly moves in reverse. But I hear a grind like it's not connected correctly. I did hear a slight clunk. - The RPM was slight.

What happened? What to check?

THANK YOU. I'm bewildered.

Take a look at the forward part of the gearcase. The LOWER shift rod comes out of the gearcase and connects to the UPPER shift rod just above where it exits the case. The two rods are connected to each other by a long adjustment nut. The adjustment nut is prevented from turning by a smaller "jam nut" snugged up against it.

It sounds as if the adjustment nut has backed off and possibly allowed the two rods to go way out of adjustment or even completely separated from each other.

Push your shift control to reverse before inspection to provide the best access to the adjustment nut and the two rod ends.

Get back with what you find and I can help you with the adjustment if necessary.

Merry Christmas!

P.S. anytime you shift an outboard when it isn't running you MUST turn the propeller slightly as you shift. If you don't do this, the clutch may jam and, if forced, you could bend the shift rods. Never use muscle to shift. If you are moving the prop (direction doesn't matter...just so it's moving) the transmission should smoothly and easily go into gear.

Last edited:
What Jimmy said is correct for an 8D model....which came out in 2001. The older version of the 8hp was still around...the last year was 2006.

So if yours is really a BF8A, then the shift rod is all enclosed and the only way to adjust shift is by turning the connector at the end of the shift shaft....located in front of the power head and behind the rectifier/regulator. Very hard to get to without taking a few things out.

One other thought as to what might have happened is....if it shifted into gear, the prop might have hit something and broken the shear pin in front of your prop. Sometimes, when that happens the prop will move one way easily and will make unusual sounds moving it the other way.

I am trying to find something simple.

One other thought...maybe there is no more gear lube in your gearcase and it did actually lock up.........I hope not.

Mike

Back