Logo

Evinrude burning rich

bcook204

Hi All, This is my 1st time posting. I have a 1990 Evinrude V6 150 hp model: E150STLES. Toward the end of this years season it started smoking bad at idle and when I shut it off and turn it back on when warm. Blue smoke like its burning rich. I know that 2 strokes are suppose to smoke but this is to much for this engine. It never smoked that badly before. I live in MD and it is off season for me, so I rebuilt the carburetors. But that did not solve the problem. I thought it could be the vro, It's down time for fishing so I went just put a new one on. That did not solve the problem. It does start easier and idles a lot smoother but still smokes a lot. I replaced the fuel lines last year from the fuel tanks to the engine. So when I replaced the vro I also replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter under the cowl. Compressions are great.

I do not know what to do. Is there a idle air adjustment for this engine. If so, where. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Boobie, but how do I do that. I am new to this boating scene. This is my second season. I have no motor temp gauge, and there are no alarms going off.

Get yourself a hand held temp gun, go to a service manual for the spec and then check it. You check it on top of the block.

I do have access to a temp gun. I will give it a try. But if I'm understanding correctly, it could be that a thermostat could be bad. If I replaced the thermostats then hopefully that could solve the problem?

I will look for both, air leak and thermostats. Faztbullet, is there a easy way to check for air leak. What if I put a clear 3/8 hose before the vro to see if there are any air bubbles in it. Someone told me to do that also.

yes, installing vro was easy. I used snap clamp #8 for fuel line hose, and used snap clamp #6 for oil line hose. I ran engine to look for any leaks, did not find any. Then I cleaned engine with GUNK degreaser and washed it off so that I could see any leaks, drips, shiny areas on hoses. I'm confident that I installed correctly. When I pump the fuel primer bulb it stays hard for a very long time. So I don't think it is between the tanks and the primer bulb. I am going to check thermostats with temp gun, but how do I check for other air leaks. Its raining now, tomorrow is Xmas eve and Monday is Xmas. So I won't be able to do anything for a few days. I was thinking to disconnect fuel line at boat and hooking up a portable tank to definitely eliminate air leak from primer bulb to tank.
I really don't want to take to a outboard mechanic for something that is simple and I can do myself.

Get rid of the snap clamps and use oetiker clamps. Did you folow the instructions that came with the new VRO pump exactly.
Did you pump the oil line to make sure there was no air in the line?
Did you start the engine on a pre-mix tank and run until the no oil alarm sounded?
You do not connect the oil line until the alarm sounds.

Hi All, This is my 1st time posting. I have a 1990 Evinrude V6 150 hp model: E150STLES. Toward the end of this years season it started smoking bad at idle and when I shut it off and turn it back on when warm. Blue smoke like its burning rich. I know that 2 strokes are suppose to smoke but this is to much for this engine. It never smoked that badly before. I live in MD and it is off season for me, so I rebuilt the carburetors. But that did not solve the problem. I thought it could be the vro, It's down time for fishing so I went just put a new one on. That did not solve the problem. It does start easier and idles a lot smoother but still smokes a lot. I replaced the fuel lines last year from the fuel tanks to the engine. So when I replaced the vro I also replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter under the cowl. Compressions are great.

I do not know what to do. Is there a idle air adjustment for this engine. If so, where. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, did you ever find out what your issue was regarding your fuel burning too rich? I am having the same problem with my 1993 Evinrude 150hp

Hello, did you ever find out what your issue was regarding your fuel burning too rich? I am having the same problem with my 1993 Evinrude 150hp

How did you determine that -----" fuel is burning too rich "---- on your motor ?----What trouble shooting was done ?----Have you looked at the red lever on the fuel primer valve ?

How did you determine that -----" fuel is burning too rich "---- on your motor ?----What trouble shooting was done ?----Have you looked at the red lever on the fuel primer valve ?

I am getting copious amounts of white/bluish smoke when engine running and even more when I push the throttle. In regards to trouble shooting, I rebuilt the carbs at the end of last season, which is when my trouble started. This season I've inspected all of the carbs again making certain that the specs were met, per the service manual (float height and drop distance to 17-28mm). I started the motor with great anticipation but to my dismay the smoke continued. I then took my boat to a mechanic who confirmed that the oil is burning too rich but suggested that the VRO was malfunctioning. I then called an Evinrude dealer and informed him of the problem and shared with him the things that I had done and he too suggested that it 'could be' the VRO.

It is my thought that I may have thrown something out of whack when I initially rebuilt the carburetors, which were initially changed because they were leaking.

But, to answer your question racerone, I have not checked the checked the red lever on the fuel primer valve though. Please, tell me more.

wm

Back