Logo

Gen V 454 owners

Anyone with a Gen V 454 still have the original Holley carb? I think it was a 4011 but might have been a 4010, trying to determine the original cfm rating.

They are 4011's.....if you look at the front of the air horn, there should be two sets of numbers stamped into the front (vertical wall) of the air horn. the top number is the "LIST" number - aka 'detailed model number'. With that, you can get all the tech data you need; either off the www or calling holley's tech support dept.

a standard production BBC should need more than 600 CFM.

Thanks but the problem is that I don't have a carb. I'm replacing a mark IV block with a gen V and found they used a 4011 Holley, I have a 4010 on my other boat and wanted to know what cfm the BBC used as I like that series of carbs and might shop for one.

Got it....a BBC inboard doesn't need more than a 600 CFM carb....

Re the 4010/4011, I'm pretty sure they are 'orphans' as Holley hasn't made them in years....if you find one, it will be used/refurb'ed....and you will likely have to reconfigure it for optimal performance on your engine...

I'm running 4160's on MarkIV 454's, 750cfm vacuum secondaries, electric choke. Run great, just needed a little tweeking right out the box. I would think the 600's would be more suited for a small block, but it would depend on what boat as well as your expectations.
J

The 4010's came in 600 and 750, the 4011's came in 650 and 800. Smaller would give me better throttle response, bigger would be better WOT.

The 4010's came in 600 and 750, the 4011's came in 650 and 800. Smaller would give me better throttle response, bigger would be better WOT.

True, but throttle response isn't a big priority for me. I rarely will you go from idle to WOT quickly, but even on rare occasion when I do, it's still not an issue with the 750's. If you have a light or performance boat it might make a difference, but I would think you would lose a good bit at WOT in the way of performance. The q-jets I took off were 980's....

You don't need a carb any larger than what the engine needs and a bigger one won't improve the WOT performance at all. Setting up the proper carb in an optimal manner for how you use it will be money well spent.....

How can you say that? More cfm means more gas means more rpm, otherwise we would only have one barrel carbs that flow 50 cfm. Now there are limits, an engine can only use so much air at a given rpm so running two 1150's on a SBC doesn't make any sense, but a 4 bbl on a big block will typically outperform one with a 2 bbl.

you answered your own question....the engine has a max WOT rating and having a carb that delivers the appropriatedly scaled volume of air is all that is needed. In other words, for a given displacement, the max WOT RPM sets the volume of air (CFM) needed. If you want to size the carb to provide excess capacity, that's your choice...

My '89s came with 750 Quadrajets. Replaced with 600 Edelbrock. Edelbrock says with 454, otherwise stock, 600 good up to 4500 rpm. Although that would be absolute max. In my case, I will limit engine speed t0 4000 until on plane, and then back off to maintain a moderate on-plane speed. Engine life is inversely proportional to rpms:cool:

Last edited:
Back