Logo

Bf30 carb float valve question

bruceb58

Does anybody have an easy or the correct way to insert the black cap into the float valve. It seems that it won't just push in and I don't think tapping it will be good for the tip, or holding it with vice grips as the metal fins will get damaged. This is on new replacement OEM float valves. Thanks

Hi,
I'm not sure that I understand your question so bear with me if I'm way off course here.

If you are referring to the black, pointed, nitrile tip at the end of the triangular shaped float valve used to seal the fuel inlet to the carburetor ....the answer is simple;

You shouldn't have to put it on. The tip and the triangular metal portion of valve assembly should be firmly attached to one another.

They are sold and are supposed to come as an assembly from Honda. If you received the valve in two pieces, I would suspect the part you were sold is defective.

I've seen them separate on carbs with many hours on them but trying to push the tip back on and reusing is not only difficult to do but will likely end up with the tip coming off in service and lead to either fuel starvation or, more often, flooding.

I believe that whomever sold you the valve owes you a new one.

If I am off the mark here, maybe you could post a photo of the item?

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Oh!
Well, I must confess I have not seen a carb inlet valve that looks like that one. The parts page doesn't show it either. The only ones I've ever run across had the hanger head machined right into the metal of the valve. Simple.

Not sure why it's been made more complicated with that plastic head but all I can do is tell you what I would try.

Obviously, the head or cap or button holds the hanger to the valve. I can't tell, from your photo, if the hanger wire slips under the head or, has to be "captured" by the head as you insert it into the metal.

If it's the latter, then you have to make sure that the orientation of the hanger is correct for smooth movement of the valve when it's hooked to the float and installed in the fuel inlet passage.

It actually may not matter but I would consider it before assembly.

I take it, from you even asking the question, that sucker is hard going on. And, you're right, you should avoid boogering up those little guide fins on the valve.

But I don't think it would hurt to give it a tap or two to get it to go in. You could put the cap in the fridge for a time to shrink it a bit and then lube it with Vaseline or WD 40.

Use a plastic faced hammer or maybe a block of wood to tap on the cap head ONLY. You're probably going to have to hold it in your fingers for this little operation to keep from damaging the valve guide fins.

Then.....hold your tongue just right.

I wish you luck. It looks like it's going to be a pain.

Let us know how you get it in (you WILL if you keep trying).

They normally slip right in, for me.

Make sure that there is not any debris inside the float valve or any burrs on the plastic piece.

Mike

Mike! You're back! Glad to "see" you!
Question: If that button slips right in, what keeps it from slipping back out? I know there's very little force acting on it but there has to a little. Does it have some sort of positive "lock" built in or is it just a friction fit?
Should he use a drop of glue or Loc-Tite?
Glad to have you back Mr.!

No loctite.. They are held in by the part of the float that they are attached to.

These are the little guys that I have seen expand in some motors, pushing themselves up and causing the floats to be too high. The best I can tell, is that it is from fuel with high alcohol content.

Mike

Good point!
So, bruce58, if she starts running rich somewhere down the line, you know where to start looking.
Good luck

I only run non ethanol gas. Habit from owning a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim with 4 carbs...
I had a aftermarket float sent to me with a white insert. Nothing I tried worked on getting it in. I am waiting for the actual OEM Honda float valve and was hoping to be better prepared. I am really hoping Hondadude is correct and that it will just slip in. Will let you all know the outcome when it arrives. Thanks

Final update: The actual OEM Honda Float Valve arrived today. Opened the packet, grabbed the float valve by my fingers, grabbed the plastic part to insert in the open end and it slid right in. So the lesson to be learned...OEM parts are better made. :) thanks and Merry Christmas!

Back