Logo

VP SX-M: How to remove that LU bearing housing...

Berrie

OK, I am new to this forum so I greatly appreciate any insights.

My VP SX-M lower unit developed an oil leak around the bearing housing O-ring.
Bearing housing.jpg

This unit has been used in fresh as well as salt water.
So I looked at the drawing of the unit:
Exploded view.jpg

I removed the prop, removed set screw #3, and bracket #32 and #34.
At this point, the bearing housing "should" unscrew using the VP tool (or a home-made tool at a fraction of the cost).
Animation.jpg

However, the bearing housing will not budge.
I started with a pipe wrench on the tool, but I could not get it to move.
So I attached it to my air-impact wrench. I tried to unscrew it for a while, but it still will not move.
So how do I get this bearing housing out, preferably without damaging it?
Or at least without damaging the female threads in the LU?
Thank you.

Berrie

Thank you for the reply!
The anode has not been removed.
From the drawing it appears to be screwed into the bearing housing only which would eliminated the need to have it removed. But the drawing is not conclusive, so I may be wrong.
I did try and remove it, but the screw holding the anode in place seems to be as stuck as the bearing housing. I am afraid that if I apply any more force to the anode bolt, it will break.
I will put the air impact on it at low strength and try to get it out.
At this moment they are both soaking in Kroil.

My book shows that the anode has to be removed as well. #'s 27 thru 31 on your diagram. Has this been removed?

Would you be willing to share that page of the book?
Looking at a bearing housing in this video (between 13 sec and 17 sec time mark), the bolt holes show the anode screws into the back of the bearing housing, and therefore does not impede removal of the bearing housing. (It's still soaking in Kroil, I'll give it another try Tuesday)
https://youtu.be/pEPvboV7E18

Last edited:
Does it have reverse threads on the bearing housing? Once you get it apart be careful of the shims on the inside they can be easily misplaced or damaged hopefully Ricardo will chime in he is the resident VP guru.

Last edited:
Back