Logo

Water in oil just appeared BF 225 A

aussieav8r

Hi guys well got my engine up and running again and found a spot behind the mount for the loom connectors on the front of the engine where water was appearing at around 3000 rpm it would have been going on for a bit as there was a little corrosion on the bolts ,
I just had an issue when I first got the engine it had a water leak at the base of the valley between the heads, I made a fix with a plug and some devcon and its held out for the past 3 years , it started to leak again so pulled it down and fixed it good this time , whilst test running I noticed some water coming from the front of the Crank case cover there is a round section with like a spiggot around it and what looks like a nipple , water was coming out from here.

I have since found that there is now water in my oil, there was no water last week and the oil was clean as a whistle , the engine runs fine idle's fine no alarms I am guessing this is going to be a full tear down job

might be time for a new engine case perhaps
Any thoughts just putting it out there for ideas cheers guys Tommy

In reference to the water leak, a couple of pictures would help.

As for oil in the water, as a general observation, I would try to eliminate all other possibilities before a tear down. Pressurize the oil pan to see if you can determine the exact location of the leak. That takes time and patience and a good stethoscope.

There is a water line that goes through the oil pan. There is a grommet that can fail and put water in the oil. See # 6 at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2004/BF225A4 LA/OIL PAN/parts.html

Just some initial ideas.

2 common places for water to enter into the sump would be the main oil pan gasket that is between the base of the power head and top of the oil pan ,the other would be through the cylinder head gasket what you can do is remove the leg then the oil sump make a adaptor to fit where the grommet fits into and connect water under pressure then sit under the oil pan and observe. the grommet chawk_man is referring is on the outside of the oilsump

If you have the vst vent pipe that goes down to the oil pan in the wrong place and the water tube coming from behind the vst as on the 130 hp you have to be careful the 2 pipes are on top of the oil pan near the dip stick are very close together if you mix these 2 pipes around water will enter into the oil pan.

thanks fortunately I never disconnected any water pipes I removed the inlet manifolds to get in behind where there was a small corrosion hole that was fixed with a plug , this has been repaired for 3 years and only effected the water jacket easy fix and has given no trouble
I have a feeling there is something more sinister at work , before I topped up the oil there was no problem at all with the system im going to tear it all down and really go to town I think

Well, I'm fairly convinced that something goes in that hole, but I cannot figure it out. There is nothing in the various parts diagrams and there is nothing in my Helm shop manual that I can find. My only guess is that there was some sort of pressure relief plug (akin to a freeze plug) that goes in there. In the thread I referenced earlier, SophiaDa1st had oil coming out of that hole when he tilted the engine up.

If you have water coming out of there, that is likely a really bad situation, since that piece in the picture is just the crank case cover.

What was the verdict on this problem?
Went out today and had what I think is a hole in block or head on number 6 and took on an extra 12 litres of water added into the oil. And have water coming out of that hole.
It must be a pressure relief plug ?

Went out today and had what I think is a hole in block or head on number 6 and took on an extra 12 litres of water added into the oil. And have water coming out of that hole.

If I might make a suggestion? Rather than drag out a 5 year old thread like this, maybe start a new one? It might draw more of a response. Just make sure you provide some detail regarding your issue. Best of luck!

Interested Ozzie,
Asking questions here is certainly ok but I agree that starting a new thread would likely get more "focus" on YOUR problem.

Good luck.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Back