Logo

Wont fire ?

waz57

Contributing Member
Hi all well, I have a 1977 mariner 2 cylinder 60 hp now Ive re furbished from the skeg to the fly wheel but it just wont fire. Ive replaced the trigger, the CDI but its no giving a constant spark anyone have any thought thanks. Waz

WAZ up? with that.

I suggest you beg or borrow a DVA meter setup and test what you have. Even at cranking speeds you'll get lots of good data.
I bought an attachment for my existing meter that works well. Got it on Amazon for well under 40 bucks US.

Electronic Specialties 640 Dva Adapter

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi back to my 60 hp mariner I have the complete workshop manual for this beast but even that cant help me. Today I changed the trigger , the CDI unit, the condenser new 12mm positive and negative wire and new lugs and had 3 batteries in line but still no fire ? I saw a healthy spark this arvo but then nothing so it looks like it might be an on and off again or something not connected cleanly I also ran 12mm earth leads from the starter to the motor to make sure of a earth but still no. Tomorrow my last hope Im going to disconnect the harness to the key and wire directly to a spare ingintion switch just maybe it might be the stop switch or something like that. When I find the problem i will let you all know just in case you ever come over the issue.

Yep did that a few years ago I use a simple rocker switch for auto shop. Back to my motor to me it seems like I remember in old cars with the timing being a80 degrees out and that is what it feels like it has a great spark on the bottom plug it nearly killed me. I have been reading the electrical side but I think I have missed something in the mechanical ??? Any ideas Ive been trying to fire it up for a month now and changed all the conponetry bits

Well it turned out to be the CDI unit anyway it started the motor almost immediately but the throttle was open open and I just couldn't get in the boat fast enough, the key nothing after 3 or 4 minutes I saw a cloud of white smoke pour out of the prop it was like everywhere so to stop it I grabbed the spark plug leads to stop it. So of course the motor was trashed. So now Im on the 2nd re build the frist one the flywheel had run off centre and welded itself to the crank shaft.

Back