Logo

BF25A Oil Leak

bwallen149

Had an oil leak between the bottom of the block and the top of the cowl pan (or whatever its called). Removed lower unit, midsection, and powerhead. Ordered new oil pan and pri/lower case gasket. Also ordered a shop manual but it's going to be the last thing to arrive. Anyone know for sure if the either of those gaskets need rtv/hondabond between them? The old ones do not appear to have anything, but they are leaking. Any recommendation for a good sealer other than hondabond as I am guessing it may be difficult to find locally. Thanks

The ones I've done (no 25hp to date) had nothing on them. But, if you're concerned about them leaking, I see no harm in smearing a thin coating of RIGHT STUFF gasket maker to both sides of the gasket.

I would and have used it myself with good results.

Good luck

Thank you! I think I will use a very thin bead of the right stuff. The flanges and old gasket looked pretty good so maybe there's very slight warpage or some other imperfection. The leak was very minimal to start with.

Yes, you should be ok doing that as long as you keep any "squeeze out" inside the engine to a minimum.

Good luck.

Back