Logo

67 6hp rude

bspeth

Regular Contributor
When I go from a trolling speed directly to wot she dies,choke to restart warm. If I throttle up slowly she runs fine throughout the range.Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks-B

Thanks Boobie. I am confident in the carb work. Sync and link is the adjustment of the throttle cam,is that correct?

I suppose you have already tried tweaking the slow speed needle a bit toward rich---haven't you? Thermostat working?

Stat is working,I replaced it and it improved my low idle. I did spend quite a bit of time tuning it but I will do that next time out.

Confirm the carb just begins to open as the line on the cam passes center of the follower roller then yes adjust the slow needle for a smooth idle. Then quickly throttle up if it stalls or hesitates add 1/8 turn counterclockwise and try again. Just keep doing that it should cure the issue. It is always best to error on the rich side. Do you know how old the head gasket is? It can never hurt to put a new gasket on those older engines for gits and shiggles.

Make sure that the ID of the High Speed Jet, located in the bottom center of the float chamber way behind the drain screw, is absolutely clean/clear.

Ok will do thank you guys once again. I disassembled the carb twice and the jet was perfectly cleaned.I did not change the HG but I could throw one at it.

Lightly surface the head on a glass table with 220 grit paper. Swirl it in a figure 8 pattern until it all shines the same the slowly torque it down in at least three steps with a center out bolt pattern. My computer crashed so I lost my repair manuals others here will know the torque specs!

Back