Logo

326693 � SPACER, IMPELLER HOUSING, LONG. 20 INCH - Do I need it?

Klink

Regular Contributor
326693 SPACER, IMPELLER HOUSING, LONG. 20 INCH - Do I need it?

I'm changing the impeller on a 1997 25hp J25TELEUM. It is missing the 8" Spacer tube 326693 #64 on the diagram. Do I really need this part?

In another forum I found this description of the job of the spacer: The 8" Spacer tube 326693 is there to complete the isolation tube that runs from the pump to the powerhead. Purpose of the isolation tube is to keep exhaust and water away from the upper end of the drive shaft and lower end of the crankshaft, including the crankshaft seal.

As I see it - Looking at the engine midsection and the impeller pump housing, the two ends which the spacer ends will sit. The top part, the engine midsection has a bronze bushing (which shows nowhere in diagrams, so must be pressed in place at the factory), the driveshaft goes through the bushing (both are 5/8" diameter) and into a square casting that isolatates / separates the upper drive shaft from the exhaust. The spacer #64 then isolates from that bronze bushing to the impeller pump housing. I can't see how much if any exhaust can pass through the gap between the bronze bushing and the driveshaft. So I do not see the need for this 8" spacer on the top end, maybe the mechanic who worked on the engine before concluded the same? The bottom end of the spacer has a place for it to fit into and the O-ring to seal at the pump housing top, but I do not see how the top O-ring would seal since it'll just be in the air outside of the bronze bushing, the spacer tube mouth being the same diameter as the bronze bushing. The only seal would be how tight the spacer mouth rests on the mouth of the bushing, "kissing it".

On the top side the spacer fits inside of nothing and is sealed strictly by the end of the tube, the seal serves no purpose on this end. I do not see the purpose of the seal on that side. Both ends of the 8" spacer are identical O.D. in all the pictures. Is it needed on the impeller pump side, where it does seal? Do I even need this part?

Attachments

• Spacer 326693 Marinengines.JPG
    Spacer 326693 Marinengines.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Gearcase Diagram .jpg
    Gearcase Diagram .jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Spacer 0326693.jpg
    Spacer 0326693.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Can a moderator fix / change the title of the thread to: 326693 Spacer for Impeller Housing - Do I need it?​

Yes you do. It keeps water out of the drive shaft area. If it wasn't needed the factory wouldn't have put it in there.

The bronze bushing is pressed into the aluminum midsection casting, it is gold colored, it definitely is a bronze bushing. This is a long shaft engine 20". The driveshaft goes through the bushing and into an isolation space to separate from exhaust, then continues into the engine:
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
P1010638.jpg

Last edited:
So, I assume the bushing is in the cavity where the extension tube would normally slip in. I confess I know nothing about that.

So, I assume the bushing is in the cavity where the extension tube would normally slip in. I confess I know nothing about that.

Very good observation, that is one way that the spacer would seal, if the bushing was not there, then the spacer could fit into the cavity and the o-ring would seal. I'll have to look for pictures that show the interior of the midsection like my pictures.

Yes you do. It keeps water out of the drive shaft area. If it wasn't needed the factory wouldn't have put it in there.

Regarding the the upper sealing point of the spacer, which it would seal with the O-ring, there are two large holes above the seal point that let water in/out of the shaft, see the picture. I looked at it with a light and both holes go into the shaft above the O-ring seal point. Therefore that upper seal must not be to seal out water from anything as the water would just go down the inside of the tube.

Midsection water holes for upper driveshaft.jpg

I think you hit the nail on the head fdrgator, I looked at 5 good pictures with the same part number and casting number and I even looked at the older version which it replaced (as maybe this is a cannibalized midsection housing) and all of them have no bronze bushing AND have a bigger diameter hole that likely fits the 8" spacer 326693.

First picture is one of the same Longshaft part number 0436193 and with the same casting number. The second picture is the number it replaced which is 395155.

Midsection insides picture - looks like no bushing.JPG

Midsection insides picture - older 395155 still no bushing.jpg

I think someone put a bushing in there, and eliminated the spacer. Since I do not have the spacer and it'll be hard to get the bushing out, and it does not look like a bad idea, I'll just keep it as is. I'll test the water pump with a hose to see if it leaks out the top too much, a little would be good since it'll keep exhaust out. That is the only seal point of concern in my opinion.

Back