Logo

Is a new engine needed?

Dar101

Hi. I was on the lake yesterday and on the way back the engine lost RPM.s and then died. I got towed back by another boater (thank you) and got it on trailer. When I got home a took the cover off the thermostat covers (both) were melted and gone, the thermostats were just dangling around. The plastic cover on the back of the motor was melted and there are two wires that go into the heads that were melted. My question is, will I need a new motor, or can this be repaired. How do I tell if the heads or block is bad? Thanks in advance.

#1 Compression Test
#2 Check spark plugs for any signs of water (steam cleaned appearance.

Definitely sounds like the engine overheated, but you should have heard an alarm long before it got to that point. I would guess that either your temp sensors were bad or your warning horn is deactivated/failed. That engine should have a System Check gauge or tach. Either one of those would have given you warning that the engine was overheating.

If the compression test fails, remove the heads and look for scoring on the cylinders. If the pistons and cylinders look okay you might be able to resurface the heads if they are warped or get new (used) ones. If none of that works your next option could be a remanufactured power head for about $3,000 if your lower unit is in good shape. This sounds like your water pump failed so a new one is an absolute must if you go the re-man power head route.

The last resort is a completely new motor. I think the new ETEC G2's look like some great technology but the price tag is really steep.

KJ

Compression test needs to be done now !------You did not get an overheat alarm ??--Have you had oil injection system checked ?---Have you had a dealer do any maintenance ?----Or do you just turn the key and go?----This going to be expensive I think !

I have had it about a year and since I got it the temp lite would come on then go off. I do regular maintenance on it and I just did the water pump because I didn't know the last time it was dome.

Well no doubt about it, it has been overheated. Now you have to inspect it for damage (don't be surprised if it is toast). Concerning those temp lights: They are pretty unreliable. I've seen dozens of motors that self destructed and the light never came on. Usually happens when sudden and complete failure of the water pump with no warning.

I did the compression check and the right (as looking from the back) is all about 95. The left side is all about 50. When I bought it a year ago all were at 110.

If it were me, I'd get another one of the same used, and use that engine for parts in the future, or sell it for parts. Here's an example of a 175hp in my area, for $1500 you got another good engine : https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bpo/d/evinrude-175/6409337771.html

If your engine is different and you can't use the parts, you likely can get $500 for yours from someone that can use the parts.

Bottom line, in this case for $1000 net you got yourself a working motor likely better than yours was before it fried.

By the way, I always put water pressure and water temperature gages on my engines and I make sure the engine alarms work. And on these older Johnson/Evinrude get rid of the oil injection and just mix oil in your tank the old fashion way.

Last edited:
Back