Logo

Johnson J4R4SU

Morgs

Hi guys just got a 2006/2007 Johnson 4hp outboard model no J4R4SU. Took it for a run and there was just a drip coming from the tell tale I have checked impeller and it is brand new. Just wondering if this is normal or where else to check for issues thanks in advance guys

Do you know the history of the engine? If the engine is not overheating just run a wire up the telltale and see if it starts running any better. Maybe get a jug of saltaway and run it in a barrel for 1/2 hour or so and flush the cooling system. It could be the engine has not been flushed properly be sure and flush it with tap water after each use especially if it is a salt water motor. Run it in a barrel with the water five inches above the impeller.

Ideally after each use run it in a barrel until the thermostat opens and then disconnect the fuel line and just let it run out of fuel. I just punched a hole in the garbage can so the barrel just drains itself when done.

Buy yourself a Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun and check the temperatures at different places around the cylinder heads to see if you are overheating.
Here in Florida, out of 11 used outboards I've had in the last 3 years, 8 of them were totally clogged in the cylinder head water passages.

Here's my temperature gun, its worked great for me and is inexpensive $12.59 deliverd to you. Cheape insurance for your engine:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...=1513107390&sr=8-3&keywords=infrared+heat+gun

Back