Logo

Engine hasn’t run for over 10 years. What should I check or replace?

ilandcruza

I got a boat from my friend but it’s been sitting for over 10 years. The motor is an 88 Johnson 120HP outboard. The motor model is J120TXCCA. I haven’t tried to crank the motor yet because I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t damage anything internally. I’m planning on changing the oil, plugs and impeller. What else should I check or replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Was all the fuel drained before storage? If not, you have a mess to clean up. But IF it was drained, I suggest putting it in the water and see if it will start and run. If it does, then proceed with the maintenance items you are considering. I've seen too many motors messed up by doing shotgun-approached repairs before you even know what is needed.

Mix gas and oil at 50:1 untill you verify that oil injection is working properly.------Do you know why it sat all this time ?

Apart from the things you have mentioned and ensuring you replace any petrol (gas) I would take out the plugs and spray a little WD40 or light lubrication oil into cylinders, this will soften up any residue of old oil which may have conjealed in the rings. Check all your electrical contacts for deteriation. I have had engines which have sat for 30 years and still worked OK but once it starts, fingers crossed, DON'T rev the bollocks out of it leave it just above tick over for about an hour. Ensure the PEE,PEE water is coming out which shows the cooling system is working correctly. A good idea is if the engine has been used in the sea add a caustic solution into the water bath, this will clear any scale or barnicles that have built up in the water channels. good luck hope things go well.

On many motors flow out the tell tale indicates that the water pump is working.------However it does NOT indicate that cooling system is working correctly.----Some will argue that fact !

So the back story is that he use to go with his kids but then they started getting busy with work and taking care of their families. After a while he just lost interest so he gave it to me. He said someone did some maintenance to the motor just before he stopped going out. Not sure if they did the impeller but He said they did the power pack.

The fuel was not drained from the tank before storage but I believe he ran the motor out of fuel before storage.

He did remove the oil injection and mixed oil manually.

I will try doing the WD-40 thing.

Would it be safe to start up before changing the impeller?

BTW i Appreciate all the help so far

I would spray fogging oil in the cylinders and through the throttle plates then with the spark plugs removed turn the flywheel by hand to get the rotating assembly moving.

A water pump kit doesn't cost that much so if it were me I'd replace it before I tried to start the motor. The impeller has sat static for 10 years and you don't know how new it was before that point. All it takes is for the rubber fins to disintegrate and send small pieces through the entire cooling system....then you would have an even bigger problem on your hands.

You might also just remove the carburetors and make sure they are clean. Old fuel can and will gum up so it's better safe than sorry.

once those things are covered stick it on some muffs or in a barrel and see if it runs.

KJ

I would spray fogging oil in the cylinders and through the throttle plates then with the spark plugs removed turn the flywheel by hand to get the rotating assembly moving.

A water pump kit doesn't cost that much so if it were me I'd replace it before I tried to start the motor. The impeller has sat static for 10 years and you don't know how new it was before that point. All it takes is for the rubber fins to disintegrate and send small pieces through the entire cooling system....then you would have an even bigger problem on your hands.

You might also just remove the carburetors and make sure they are clean. Old fuel can and will gum up so it's better safe than sorry.

once those things are covered stick it on some muffs or in a barrel and see if it runs.

KJ

That’s true. Actually that happened to my uncles boat. His impeller blew up. I totally forgot about that. I’ll also check the carbs. Thanks!

Good news! The motor runs! I replaced the water pump and added a little of the gas/oil mixture to each of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. The carbs also looked clean. I turned the motor by hand at first from the flywheel and then cranked it. Took a little while but it started and idled nicely. Thank you guys for all your input!

Back