Logo

Yet another mystery now Wiring

Gearjunkie

Hello all, well you were good enough to help me figure out what carb kits i needed, I got them ordered and installed. Now after all the work I’ve put into this ol outboard to help a young friend out, and this thing has been one thing after another...

One of the last things I’m now up against the wall with is trying to find a legitimate wiring diagram for it. I’ve found that are close but no cigar. For some reason this serial isn’t being recognized even though you guys helped me determine it’s an ‘85, Mercury 50 HP 4 cyl with a serial of A133684, but I have a sneaking suspicion someone before has maybe messed with placement of wires and I’m so close I refuse to chance blowing the CDI. I’ll be darned if I can locate the wire suppose to go to the Choke Solenoid.. then there’s a small black block about 3/4” long (that I’ll attempt to upload photo/s) that one side attaches to front plate in front of carbs and also hold the starter Solenoid amd also the Regulator rectifier... so one screw attaches to this black plate (I’m assuming for grounding) and then a yellow with black tracer is screwed to other end of this block and no clue what that does. Bout pulling my hair out being this close and hit another stumbling block.

Now to try and upload photos haha (the things I don’t do to help deserving souls out, Lord keep giving me strength)

The yellow black stripe is the choke and the black yellow stripe is the kill wire. you can go to maxrules.com and look at the engine diagram just make sure you never apply battery pos to the kill wire or you will need a new switchbox.

Thing is this motor has no Black with yellow tracer, two of yellow with black. Maxrules.com I’ve been there so many times looking for exact wiring there’s nothing same as this one for some reason for A133684

Last edited:
Absolutely can't understand this serial number. Only thing at max rules for an A designation for beginning of serial is for a 3 cyl 50 but numbers no way jive. Nothing's been a cake walk with this outboard and it just keeps kickin me haha

Last edited:
IMG_4821(1).JPG

this is the only wire long enough that could possibly run over to the Choke Solenoid and yet it's attached to starter solenoid. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back