Logo

Help with an old Mariner

Steelshp

Hi Guys,

I picked up and old 8 hp Mariner this past week and I'm afriaid I might live to regret it. The guy I bought it from had it in a barrel of water and started it up for me so I could hear it run before I bought it. It ran fine. He said he had had it out a few times this past summer and it ran great.

My issue is that he had not done any work on the motor and had had it for 3 years. I got the motor for what I felt was cheap ($325) and I'm pretty handy so I knew I could do the work myself. My initial plan is to relplace the water pump impeller and possibly do a carb rebuild. Here's where I am getting frustrated. I have scoured the internet and it seems the majority of parts for this motor is no longer available. I can get the impeller and a very limited numer of parts for the water pump but zero parts for the carb.

My concerns, besides the obvious, are:
What other things should I be looking at with the water pump if I am replacing the impeller (seals, O-rings, etc.)?
If I can no longer get a carb or carb parts, is it possible to fit this motor with a different carb (perhaps one from a 9.9)?

Also, if anyone knows where I may be able to get parts for this I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

You'll need to post the number,'cause this could be either a Merc Mariner or a Yamaha Mariner,it'll have "Made in Japan" on one of the brackets if it's a Yamaha.

You'll need to post the number,'cause this could be either a Merc Mariner or a Yamaha Mariner,it'll have "Made in Japan" on one of the brackets if it's a Yamaha.

Serial # 647 S 27392
I'm not sure about the brackets i'll have to check. I do remember seeing "Japan" on the carb when I was inspecting it.

Last edited:
haventalue,
Thanks for the info. The plate on the side of the bracket says:
Mariner 8
647 S 27392
Made in Japan

I checked the link to the serial #'s and it's weird. It's like the 647 # doesn't even exist but it's very plainly tagged on the side of the bracket. When I click on the first link for parts I pulled up the link that says "655-000300 & below". The carb schematics looks exactly like the carb on mine.

Neither does 647- appear in any of the other HPs'.I wonder is there a letter in the corner of the ID plate? Yamaha IDed their outboard motor year by a letter in the one of the corners of the plate. In any case if the part number on your carb matches the one in the schematics,the parts will be the same.
If there's a Yamaha dealer near,they might be able to help,it is a Yamaha painted in the Mariner colours and sold as such.If this grabs Graham Lambs' attention,he's the guru on these auld Mariners

Last edited:
Back