Logo

How to bring an engine out of hibernation

jwc2

I own a 260 cubic inch Interceptor, 160 HP V8. In 1964, the original owner had it installed brand new in his boat, used it for an hour, winterized it, then died that winter. It never ran again. It remained in storage from 1964 until I bought it in 1988. When I acquired it, I squirted oil thru the spark plug holes and it turns over. I think the transmission is a Dearborn model and I can turn the flange by hand but it feels rough, like a bearing is shot.

I want to get it running in the spring and find a boat to install it in. My question to this forum is, what is the process to bring this engine to life. I don't want to do something that would harm it or cause unnecessary expense. I have a feeling with gas and spark, it will start right up but I don't want to do that if something would be harmed.

Any suggestions?

John

IMG_0323.jpgIMG_0324.jpgIMG_0328.jpgIMG_0330.jpg

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... Pull the spark plugs, 'n roll it over on the starter til ya get oil pressure,...

Put the spark plugs back in, 'n light it up,....

Thanks for your reply. Why use it at all? I like to keep old things alive and it's practically brand new and shouldn't need parts. It will need an impeller for the water pump but not much else. After speaking with others the plan it to squirt Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders via the spark plug holes to make sure the rings are free. Also, remove the valve covers and oil the valves and guides to prevent push rod damage. I've also been told to soak the carburetor in a cleaner to remove the residue from whatever gas was left in it from 1964. Other than that, like Bondo says, light-it-up.

I did get this engine running last summer. It held 50# of oil pressure and would idle down to 600 rpm. I plan on installing it in my next project, a 16' 1957 Century Resorter.

If anyone has a similar engine (260/289/302 cu in Ford) with a Velvet Drive transmission, I'd be interested in buying it. Please contact me at [email protected]

Back