Logo

How Many CCA?

'71 Chrysler LM 318. Wal Mart lists batteries from 500 CCA to 800 CCA for a '71 Dodge 318! I'll guess that 500 is the minimum and anything above that gives you more cranking time? Looking for the battery size others are using.

Ayuh,.... Battery boxes usually are for either group 24, or group 27 batteries,...

I buy Napa dual purpose batteries, in group 27,....
I believe they're 800cca,...

I seem to remember readin' somewhere, Merc recommends 600cca as a minimum,...

I know that you have not mentioned this...... but if your concern is being able to have enough reserve AMP Hours for cranking.......... and if by chance your starter motor is in need of replacement, I'd suggest replacing it with one of today's HTGR/PMGR starter motors.
The HTGR/PMGR motors require fewer AMPs for the same cranking task, of which means that your CCA capacity does not need to be 800.

Food for thought!

Last edited:
DO NOT USE A WAL MART BATTERY!

Get the highest CCA you can find that will fit in your battery box.

I thought "highest CCA" might be the answer. Curious about your comment about Wal Mart. Have used them for years in my cars/trucks. Must say though I have never had one last beyond the 5 year warranty period. For $102 I can get an 800 CCA with a 3 year full replacement and 5 year pro-rated warranty. On-line I didn't find anyone talking about their warranty.

I know that you have not mentioned this...... but if your concern is being able to have enough reserve AMP Hours for cranking.......... and if by chance your starter motor is in need of replacement, I'd suggest replacing it with one of today's HTGR/PMGR starter motors.
The HTGR/PMGR motors require fewer AMPs for the same cranking task, of which means that your CCA capacity does not need to be 800.

Food for thought!

Know nothing about today's starter motors. Thanks for the info. Pulled my starter and alternator last year and had them bench tested at an auto electrical shop. Wish I had known about new tech starters. I suspect mine is older.

This works for me................
View attachment 16819

So I looked at BlueTop Optimas on line. No doubt you have little chance of being stranded with this batttery. I am sure it is a very good battery. You can even mount it on its side or upside down! Looks like yours is about $250 - $300. Unfortunately, above my price range. Also could not find warranty info. Did find a lot of doubletalk about standard warranty but never stated the length of warranty.

Know nothing about today's starter motors. Thanks for the info. Pulled my starter and alternator last year and had them bench tested at an auto electrical shop. Wish I had known about new tech starters. I suspect mine is older.

OK.... is it safe to assume that your engine is an inboard.... and not an I/O?
If so, your starter motor will attach to your flywheel cover from AFT....... and will not be attached to the cylinder block!

Back in the day, the old Bendix style motors were popular but were terribly inefficient.
They were not gear reduction and they relied on quick armature torque to kick the bendix drive gear out into the flywheel ring gear.
Amazingly, you can still buy these today!

The other option may have been a solenoid operated drive gear and contactor.
Again, these are not gear reduction types.... but they are a slight upgrade from the Bendix style.

The better option is a HTGR/PMGR motor. HTGR/PMGR = High Torque Gear Reduction/Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction.
With these, the armature spins at about 3X's that of the non-gear reduction types.
This increases the torque that is realized at the pinion gear.... aka drive gear.
They also require fewer AMPs while performing the same task.

Here are a few images that will help explain the differences.

First image is the Bendix style...... these require plenty of battery power, or the gear will not be kicked out. They are heavy amp hungry.

Third
and forth images show the Delco solenoid style. The solenoid lever kicks the gear out while simultaneously contacting the armature circuit.

The last image shows two types of HTGR/PMGR motors. One uses spur gears, the other uses a planetary gear system.

Attachments

• Starter motor Bendix drive.jpg
    Starter motor Bendix drive.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 36
  • starter motor drive types.jpg
    starter motor drive types.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Starter motor Delco solenoid action.jpg
    Starter motor Delco solenoid action.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Starter motor Delco solenoid action style 2 .jpg
    Starter motor Delco solenoid action style 2 .jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
  • starter motor reduction gear styles.jpg
    starter motor reduction gear styles.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 39
Wish I had known about new tech starters. I suspect mine is older.

Ayuh,.... They're easy to tell apart,....
The new PM style might weigh 3 lbs,....
The ole style, weighs more like 13 lbs,...

I thought "highest CCA" might be the answer. Curious about your comment about Wal Mart. Have used them for years in my cars/trucks. Must say though I have never had one last beyond the 5 year warranty period. For $102 I can get an 800 CCA with a 3 year full replacement and 5 year pro-rated warranty. On-line I didn't find anyone talking about their warranty.

In a car or truck they are probably fine.....In a boat I have seen more than one with broken plates and shorted internally.

Use a MARINE battery, not an automotive one. I get 6 to 7 seasons out of my marine batteries before I replace them as a precaution.

Back