Logo

After market engines trim switch?

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
After market engines trim switch?

Some how the lower down part of my engines trim switch got jammed in (can’t trim up or down w/ engines switch and it effects the binnacals control like when I trim up then let off the button it continues to trim up until I press the trim down on binnacale.

So if I want to trim from engine at launch and retrieval I have to remove cover and jump the triangle plug.

I assume the three wire switch was designed to have red as 12VDC blue and green are for up/down.

The OMC switch is $90. new. until I can obtain a used one I see them on ebay for around $25. can I waterproof then hang a after market type switch outside cowling?

Here’s the alternative switch it mite just fit the orginal switchs hole hows this look?

Boat Marine 3 Pin Up Down On/Off/On Momentary Toggle Switch Panel 12v 150A | eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-3-Pin-Up-Down-On-Off-On-Momentary-Toggle-Switch-Panel-12v-150A/182645430599?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49477%26meid%3Dc01cfee561784197af1c0ff24fb7edf3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D362013435728&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

Thanks TB

$90 vs $25 (The graphic states $13.26 I believe?).

Seeing as how the switch pictured would normally be installed on a console, subject to heavy rain etc... I see no reason why it could not be installed on the engine's hood pan assembly. However, as you mention, it would be a good idea to brush on some liquid neoprene or some such substance as added water proofing.

Actually $25. is for a used switch.

$13. get me ebay aftermarket (yes you'r probably right this is designed for console) I do like the rubber bootie covering lever.

thought I could get away w/ glueing switches trim to cowl cover.

update decided against cheap switch so on to step C: relocate a trim handle from steering wheel easly acessablable from standing on street and reaching over to control engine.this would be easy because wiring is already there

actually the none functioning tilt button on engine will prevent kids playing w/ engine.

image of trim handle from steering wheel

plan D make step on trailer enablening me to reach into helm controls.

Attachments

• raymarine1.jpg
    raymarine1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I installed this switch in the middle of a three gang panel to control my engine trim, then put the port and starboard trim tab switches on each side. That gives me a single location for all my trim adjustments. I put it on the top of my center console, just to the right of my steering wheel. It's very convenient & totally water resistant.

I installed this switch in the middle of a three gang panel to control my engine trim, then put the port and starboard trim tab switches on each side. That gives me a single location for all my trim adjustments. I put it on the top of my center console, just to the right of my steering wheel. It's very convenient & totally water resistant.
excellent switch positioning for trim and tabs. not to critize but the amazone switch doesn't appear to be water proof do you have it covered or protected?

I'm planning a monutery bilge switch for hand washing w/ bilge water so I have you'r switch on my save for later list Thanks for link.

I'm on my first set of manuel trim tabs the nautilus so I don't have to think to much on adjustment the tabs helped alot on controlling the vessel at high speed however the shock absorbers are very cheaply made or someone at the dock keeps bumping the tabs ruining them.

still haven't decided where to mount my new switch (probably directly over the originale) I have a closed transom w/ a transom cap then a stern flip up/down seat, it would be nice to have it under the seat but don't want to do that much reaching.

what part of LA are you boating?
I'm very disappointed in my usale 2nd week in Nov. cruise being cancelled due to Destins red Tide has the RT spread to Orange Bch?

next scheduled GOM cruise will be Cobia season late march so I'm wanting to spruce up the old Girl.

my bad: didn't know the host had these after market switchs thought it was all OEM stuff.
that switch you link to looks exactly like the academys switch.

any suggestions on where to mount it? TB

I attemped to install the new trim switch need to remove the orginale first.

there is what appears to be a plastic nut holding the OEM switch on the middle cowling is this a nut to loosen to remove switch?
how is this switch removed?
Thanks

I was able to unscrew the original switch. (I believe the boat mechanic ruined this switch).

new switch won't fit the original switches location, will fab a bracket & mount sideways. the supplied wire is way to short to locate on transom.

mounted new switch sidways is the best I could do to keep wire hole covered. will test after I reinstall 12V battery.

what should I seal mount plate w/?
Thanks TB

Attachments

• trim switch.jpg
    trim switch.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
excellent switch positioning for trim and tabs. not to critize but the amazone switch doesn't appear to be water proof do you have it covered or protected?

I'm planning a monutery bilge switch for hand washing w/ bilge water so I have you'r switch on my save for later list Thanks for link.

I'm on my first set of manuel trim tabs the nautilus so I don't have to think to much on adjustment the tabs helped alot on controlling the vessel at high speed however the shock absorbers are very cheaply made or someone at the dock keeps bumping the tabs ruining them.

still haven't decided where to mount my new switch (probably directly over the originale) I have a closed transom w/ a transom cap then a stern flip up/down seat, it would be nice to have it under the seat but don't want to do that much reaching.

what part of LA are you boating?
I'm very disappointed in my usale 2nd week in Nov. cruise being cancelled due to Destins red Tide has the RT spread to Orange Bch?

next scheduled GOM cruise will be Cobia season late march so I'm wanting to spruce up the old Girl.

Hey, sorry I never replied. I didn't know there was any activity on this thread, until your most recent post triggered a notification to me!

As for the switch in question; it's fully sealed. 100% marine quality.

I'm not suggesting you scrap the switch you have, but I want to warn you: As the switch wears, you will begin to get shocked, especially if you're in the wet. The switch I left the link to was used to replace the tilt/trim switch that was in use when I got the boat... it was the exact same one you're installing. The guy that sold me the boat warned me about the shock hazard (normally only when bare foot on a wet deck) and have me a cut out piece of rubber to use to push the buttons! LOL. Yeah, I switch it out PDQ. Anyway, the one you have will work for a good while, but if you start imagining you're feeling a little shock when pushing the buttons... it's probably not your imagination. It gets worse over time.

Hey, as to the question of sealing... in that application, I'd probably just put a thick bead of 4200 around it. To make it look half way nice, I'd put lay down a thick bead, then lightly screw/bolt the switch on & wait an hour. Then, when the 4200 is good & skinned over (partially dried) I would tighten some more to flatten the bead a little & make it nice and water tight. That said, it doesn't have to be a good seal. That tiny of a hole isn't going to cause any problems. Not like the engine is sealed, anyway. The cowling just keeps it from getting big waves and wakes from breaking over the engine and swamping the carbs, etc. Water still splashes around through the bottom part, anyway. Any water that happened to splash through your cable hole will just drain back out the bottom.

dam I thought I did something and save a couple bucks o'well. hopefully it will last a few seasons.

I usually always wear rubber soled sneakers but I'll beware of the shock hazard thanks for heads up. I really like the Academy boating section I've returned a few things that I had for well over 6 months very good return policy.

I was planning a GOM trip down in you're area now will probably postpone due to all the rain and now I hear the water is chocolate milk muddie.

was targeting cobia and pompano which are close to shore, is all the water dirty in mobile bay/inshore orange Bch and offshore

I have need to catch a giant cobia or even a smaller one hope there still in the area.
Thanks TB

Last edited:
dam I thought I did something and save a couple bucks o'well. hopefully it will last a few seasons.
It'll last several seasons. Probably longer than mine, since yours is just the cowl-mounted switch. Mine was the main one, used every time the motor was tilted/trimmed. (It got a lot of use.)
I was planning a GOM trip down in you're area now will probably postpone due to all the rain and now I hear the water is chocolate milk muddie.

was targeting cobia and pompano which are close to shore, is all the water dirty in mobile bay/inshore orange Bch and offshore

I have need to catch a giant cobia or even a smaller one hope there still in the area.
Thanks TB
Honestly, the marine conditions have been such crap lately, it's hard to find a day worth going out, despite water color. Today (Easter Sunday) it's reasonable (1-2' seas), but it's Easter. It's been 5'-6' almost every day. It won't be long, before the winds lay down & the seas flatten. It'll be a little warmer then, too.

Thanks TB

In fact, check HERE for the marine forecast. I like to use the "Pensacola to Pascagoula out to 20NM" to gauge my off-shore adventures. If the projection is less than 3' seas for at least 24 hours around my trip & the winds are 10kts or less, it's a-go. Sometimes they'll give you some mess about being <3' with winds at 18kts. That's bull. You'll get out and find yourself in a mess. Then, you'll get home, see everything is the same on the forecast, but the seas have been 'revised' to 4-5'. LOL

I tell people (none boaters) that if kindof favorable none south winds (less than 10Kts.) I can go to the Gulf for a week however mite be able to go offshore 2 or 3 times during this week, it's a crape shoot.I come from long distance so having at least 2 days outta of a week is a must.

yes these Marine forecasts are not very accurate I think they pad the actuele wave heights and intervales for are safety. i used to think the Florida forcasts were unpadded to intis visitors.

easter sunday looked nice down there. thanks for link to the marine forecast site. this whole week looks nice enough for me. TB

after I repack the wheel bearings and a bunch of small stuff (really dread removing wheels in backyard after alot of rain) usaley move cars around and park vessel on driveway I may connect battery and test trim switch later today will report back.

Last edited:
Back