Logo

DT65 Suzuki. Really need help !! Strange one to figure out

General Patton

ok pulling my hair out with this now, need help !!
I have a DT65 Suzuki oil injection, I think its 1980s cant seem to match serial number for precise year. Anyway. Bought this motor and the guy I got it from said it needed a bit of work to get it going and explained it had an issue with water leaking from head. He wasnt wrong !! Head Gasket.
What ive done so far.
New Head, and Water cover gasket. Full carb clean. (twice Actually) a good detailed clean at that. Reed valves looking good too. Oil filter cleaned was in good condition. New spark plugs set to 0.9. NKG,s. Fuel pump rebuild. Though I dont feel its needed, I have ordered new diaphragm anyway. in post now. Thats another thing eliminated. adjusted mix screws 2 turns out. new fuel. New oil. And start... Success, She kicked into life. Put it on muffs and all seemed well. Went into gear up and down revs ok, so took it to local lake for a test spin.
launched after a quick start at bank and all seemed good. Maybe sounded a little rough, but was thinking I will tune it out on water. As soon as I gave it a bit of throttle she dies. Sounded like it was starved, So I tried again and it started up ok this time, will even rev up in neutral. Managed to tickle it up a few revs but then felt like it was limited or restricted.( I will come back to this) I had a quick look seen that the plug was wet with fuel. Initially I thought must be spark problem.
Took boat back to yard, back on muffs and discovered that its only running on 2 cylinders, top cylinder is not firing. changed around the HT leads and problem remains in No 1 cylinder. (ruling out HT leads or coil issue). I have a compression tester coming to do full test in a few days but I am certain ive got good compression and good fuel and good spark. I did noticed that the spark on cylinder 1 gave me a bit of a shock and spark was jumping outside of plug to my hand. sort of all over the place when I touched it, a bit different from the other 2.
My question is this, what would cause a miss in one cylinder if you have compression, spark and fuel. where should I look next to get this cylinder to run. I was thinking maybe magnetos. Timing am I on the right path. If anyone can shed any light it would be a massive help.
Also Coming back to Oil injection issues. Can someone shed any light on the oil sensor limiting revs. I dont have a rev counter but im sure its holding around 2000rpm when it does go on the the 2 cylinders. Its full of oil and the oil light is still showing. Thinking faulty sensor. However I tried to by pass sensor by joining plug wires telling system level is full then hit the reset button while engine was running and this didnt put the oil light out. Again any info would really help me not go bald.
Thanks for sticking with me and hope there is some expert guy out there that can teach me a few things.

Same issues comes up with these motors over and over, firstly replace that fuel pump diaphragm (you said it is on its way so that is good) Ideal fuel / air mix is 1 & 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop ..... the oil sensors do fail but suzuki does have one of the best oil injection systems of it's time. You can replace the sensor ... just remember there are a few sensors that will put the motor into limp mode and it could be that it is because of that that you are having firing issues with cyl no 1. I haven't worked on these motors for a long time so I am a bit rusty, but I had the exact same motor and the same problems so I will help where I can as I know this is a frustrating issue!

Same issues comes up with these motors over and over, firstly replace that fuel pump diaphragm (you said it is on its way so that is good) Ideal fuel / air mix is 1 & 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop ..... the oil sensors do fail but suzuki does have one of the best oil injection systems of it's time. You can replace the sensor ... just remember there are a few sensors that will put the motor into limp mode and it could be that it is because of that that you are having firing issues with cyl no 1. I haven't worked on these motors for a long time so I am a bit rusty, but I had the exact same motor and the same problems so I will help where I can as I know this is a frustrating issue!

Hi thanks for your time. I will indeed change the diaphragm, tho I had the fuel pump out and inspected it and it looks ok. Im just doing that as a thing to rule out, just encase. I was out looking at it today and strange thing is im getting a good spark, nice blue color but seems the spark doesnt seem as direct as the others. Hard to explain but the spark off the good cylinders is a good straight jump, where the top one seems to spread out. Maybe this is just me over thinking it, ive checked the gaps and plugs, swapped them around and its not the plug as it works fine in the other cylinders. im really stummped, I may have 2 problems due to oil or some other sensor to make things worse. Do you know if I bridge all the sensors will that take it out of limp mode ? of course after I fix the cylinder not firing issue. I will do compression check. Just waiting on a friend lending me a compression tester. Il check back with results and change fuel pump diaphragm in the mean time. Im thinking that if all compression fuel checks out would this maybe have something to do with the magneto or the stator plate under flywheel. Im running out of ideas. Also would need to get a large puller to remove flywheel

Yes you can bridge all the sensors. Strange spark issue you are describing, I can only imagine that it is the sensor causing this. Before you try to remove the flywheel you can test the resistance from the stator, but I doubt this is your issue, as far as I remember the CDi distributes the spark to the coil. These CDi hardly ever fail, what you can do is test the resistance coming form each coil to rule that out.

Have you done a leak down test on that cylinder? If it's losing compression, that'll be the place to start. Could be worn rings or leaking crank seal.

Back