Logo

High Temps in manifolds and elbows

JohnnyQ627

I am purchasing a 1999 Tiara 3500 Open with twin FWC Crusader 454s and the survey showed temps on the inside of each engine of 170F, but the outside of each engine above 200F. The surveyor recommended replacing all of the manifolds and elbows (no risers), which I plan to do once the boat is winterized. What are the chances that the outside manifolds on both engines are bad vs a water distribution issue though?

Welcoe to ME.com!

Not exactly what you are referring to by "inside " and "outside" temps (or operating condition when the measurements were taken).

Rarely do the exhaust manifolds on a FWC engine need to be replaced (assuming the coolant was maintained properly). The exhaust elbows (& risers, if equipped) are typical maintenance items. Depending upon where (&how) the boat was used, their service life ranges 4-7 years....Also, the raw water pumps will need a 'major kit' in a similar timeframe...with minor work in between...

I'd encourage you to develop a disciplined diagnose the problem first approach vs just throwing parts at a problem...marine parts can add up very fast, especially when twins are involved.

Thanks Mako!

Thank you for the feedback. I pickup the boat Dec 1st and unfortunately need to winterize it as soon as possible, so I will not have much time to troubleshoot. I was hoping I could use the long winter to work on some of the more likely items that should be replaced typically anyway. Sounds like the elbows and water pumps will be a good place to start. Once the elbows are removed, I assume I should be able to visually inspect the manifolds as well.

I have the 8.1's so it may be a little different but it is worth checking, when you change the elbows you will have to drain the antifreeze in the block low enough so when you pull the elbows and blocker plate off any antifreeze in the cooling system that is higher than the top of the manifold does not come pouring out and get into the exhaust. And you will want to soak the bolts on the elbows with PB Blaster for a few days, it made my life a lot easier.

2x on draining before removing anything in the exhaust....typically draining the manifolds is adequate.

would also suggest exploiting any idle time you have to use the search function on the crusader page here....tons of data compiled over the years I've been around....

And would also suggest you get a competent individual to winter your 'new' boat - to eliminate any issues in the spring...and, if at all possible, witness the process and ask questions....

Thanks guys! I have been looking for the service manual for these engines, but they seem pretty hard to find. Any recommendations on places to look?

out host here (ME.com) used to sell copies of the factory service data....perhaps a call on Monday or an email will get the current status....

Start with preventive maintenance. Check for restrictions from the water pickup all the way out the exhaust. Does it have a sea chest in hull pickup check for restriction in the shut off valve? Chances of both engines having the same issue is nex to none sounds like a restriction up stream to me before the raw water pumps.

I am purchasing a 1999 Tiara 3500 Open with twin FWC Crusader 454s and the survey showed temps on the inside of each engine of 170F, but the outside of each engine above 200F. The surveyor recommended replacing all of the manifolds and elbows (no risers), which I plan to do once the boat is winterized. What are the chances that the outside manifolds on both engines are bad vs a water distribution issue though?

not sure there is a problem. If "outside", means exhaust manifold, then that piece of iron runs wamer than the engine, since its cooling exhaust passages post engine thermostat. If that 200 deg was measured at cruise speed or higher, when fully warmed up, then I see no issue. Also, that manifold will briefly soar at cold start, since the exhaust is warming the manifold faster than the block heats up. So, there is a brief rise before the thermostat opens.

Back