Logo

Trim pump for 290 outdrive questions.

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
IMG_6948.jpg

I don't think this is the original pump because the previous owner told me it was replaced. I don't have the manual for it. Can anyone tell me what fluid it's supposed to use and how full the reservoir is supposed to be? Also, as I posted previously, the outdrive won't stay trimmed up under way and Rick said the pump valves might need to be cleaned if possible. Was this the pump you were talking about Rick and can they be cleaned?

Thanks for for any help,
Robert

ps not sure why the image is rotated. It's not rotated on my phone.

looks like the same pump used on mercruiser I/O`s oil can be Dextron III or a 5W or 10W engine oil

Last edited:
Also, as I posted previously, the outdrive won't stay trimmed up under way

Ayuh,.... That pump will run just fine on any oil of 30W or thinner,... Atf is commonly used,....
Full is in the area of the tank seam,....

If the Po replaced the pump, because of the drive droppin' issue, 'n it still drops,....
The rams are probably leakin' off internally,....
1, or both will need to be rebuilt or replaced,....

Thanks for the responses. The outdrive worked fine for years after he replaced it. I’ve had the boat for 6 months and it just started doing this. The manual for the 290 says to use the same oil as the engine and outdrive. I use 30 or 10/30 in both so I guess that’s what I’ll use. I guess I’ll post in the merceuiser forum alsoabout how to troubleshoot the pump. Any other ideas on the pump?

Ayuh,.... alittle, yes,.... I'm guessin' yer problem is in 1 of the rams, not the pump,....

The tiny bit it's low on oil, will not cause yer issue,....

Back