Logo

Testing a coil om a 98 75hp 2-stroke

arild_johannessen

Contributing Member
I have a load resistor that I bought from CDI-electronics.
Can anyone please tell me how to connect it, when testing the ignition?

Last edited:
You test the pack output at coil as instructed in troubleshooting manual. The only time you use the resistor is when output from pack to coil is out of spec's or low. If low disconnect coil and wire in resistor and retest.

You test the pack output at coil as instructed in troubleshooting manual. The only time you use the resistor is when output from pack to coil is out of spec's or low. If low disconnect coil and wire in resistor and retest.
Thanks, that is what I thought, so resistor's red to switchbox output wire and black to ground.
If reading now stays low, switchbox or stator is the problem?
If reading now is within spec, coil is the problem?

If reading now stays low, switchbox or stator is the problem?
If DVA reading is fine on all the other cylinders and low on one it the pack. If all are low its the stator but that problem would be found DVA testing stator output.
If reading now is within spec, coil is the problem?
Yes but in nearly 40 years of servicing I could put all the bad coils I found in a 2 gallon pail....they just don't go bad that often.

If DVA reading is fine on all the other cylinders and low on one it the pack. If all are low its the stator but that problem would be found DVA testing stator output.

Yes but in nearly 40 years of servicing I could put all the bad coils I found in a 2 gallon pail....they just don't go bad that often.
I agree, have only changed two coils in my " hobby career", but I have always wondered how to use the load resistor. Must say I never had to use it, have always found ignition fault by using the DVA-adapter.
Thanks again!

Back