Logo

water in fuel tank - vent hose, 1973 Searay 220

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Hi there - just a quick question.After fitting a newly lined fuel tank last month - found about 2 quarts of seawater in the tank (The carb looked like barnacles off the titanic inside!).

I suspect the vent fitting on the stbd side is the culprit. They made a loop in the hose before it goes down to tank - but the mouth is facing the water directly.. The gauze is intact but I suspect heavy seas jets the water up and around the inside kink (like a rollercoaster) and still makes it into the tank.

My thought is to turn the mouth facing aft or even a little up.. or installing a ball valve almost like in a primer bulb - so anything trying to get in would get blocked but (air) pushing out/venting would obviously go thru. Ideas?

The high loop in the fuel tank vent line is a must. It serves as a reverse P-Trap in that it prevents gravity feed water from back flowing from the actual vent fitting into the fuel tank.
Yes.... this small clam shell looking/shaped fitting must aim AFT.
Do not restrict fuel vapor flow...... it must flow freely.

I would suggest installing a Parker/RACOR fuel filter system for I/Bs.

Re: Parker/RACOR... DITTO just make sure you buy the one with the METAL bowl. The see thru plastic ones are not legal on gas powered inboards.

Re: The see thru plastic ones are not legal on gas powered inboards.

Really? Bummer! I was SO close to getting the see thru ones to monitor whats going on down there - good to know - thanks!

Ric thanks - Ill adjust it to face backwards, must have moved in the 45 years its been sitting there :0

Back