Logo

need 2 grey plastic grommets inside morse steering rack

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Any idea what these are called and where to find them? Owner installed them wrong and they broke.. the 2 squares that clamp the incoming cable inside the long rectangular steering tube..

thanks

fyi - this looks like a standard teleflex cable, red with long galvanised box that clamps onto steering - otherwise a used one on fleabay might do..

hi - theyre the steering grommets that sit inside.. the owner broke them by trying to install them before I got there to do it - apart from ignoring my warnings about installing ujoint bearings with saltwater coming out!!) also trying to pin the cable issue on me (kid doesnt know the difference between coarse and fine threads). Washing my hands and pulling out..

I mentioned the used cable cos all I need are the grey steering block clamps that sit inside the rack. They have thru holes where bolts clamp around the cable fitting holding it to the box..

The kid fails to understand the relationship between wear/fatigue on a steering system with a near seized outdrive steering bushing - despite me trying to paint him a very clear picture (the blocks had hairline cracks - if they failed, steering wd be out the window).

Nevermind - NOS available at $50 all day, its a teleflex stock cable, nothing special..

Thanks for the input but I prefer not to deal with stubborn folks who have no appreciation for honesty and hard effort..

Last edited:
hi - theyre the steering grommets that sit inside.. the owner broke them by trying to install them before I got there to do it -
I still do not know what you are calling grommets. Are you referring to the 2 collar steering fork bushings?

I mentioned the used cable cos all I need are the grey steering block clamps that sit inside the rack. They have thru holes where bolts clamp around the cable fitting holding it to the box..

The kid fails to understand the relationship between wear/fatigue on a steering system with a near seized outdrive steering bushing - despite me trying to paint him a very clear picture (the blocks had hairline cracks - if they failed, steering wd be out the window).
Again, I am not following you re; the parts that you are describing. In order to help you, we need to be speaking the same Volvo Penta language, or at least close to it.

Nevermind - NOS available at $50 all day, its a teleflex stock cable, nothing special..

Thanks for the input but I prefer not to deal with stubborn folks who have no appreciation for honesty and hard effort..
Please explain!
Are you disappointed at the free and generous help that we are offering you?

Suggestion: accompany your questions with a few good photos and explanations.
That will help us help you.
:D

Last edited:
Hey Ricardo - not at all, I was referring to the person I was doing the work for. The owner of the boat! He INSISTED I put back ujoint bearings with salt water dripping from them - So I walked away. He installed the steering "things" himself and broke them - and implied it was my doing..

I told em to take a hike -

fyi the plastic things sit inside the teleflex steering rack - they look like this:

- So I walked away. He installed the steering "things" himself and broke them - and implied it was my doing..

I told em to take a hike -

1) Document, at least in an email (certified letter return receipt would be better) your position on this job with your former customer. Putzes like this tend to sue.
2) Old saying... "Better to have no business than bad business"

yeah I doubt hed even think about it. My wife was present during alot of the jargon we went thru so he just has to try. I texted him about the bust cable. He even admitted it- either way good riddance and not worth my time, despite trying to help the dude out even -

Back