Logo

Attempting tracking Canadian Serial number for carb parts

Gearjunkie

I didnt think my internet hunting skills were that bad but yes it's come to this haha

Helping a young friend out trying to source fuel pump diaphragm kits for his 1984 Mercury 50 hp 4 cylinder 2 carb with a serial number of A133684 which apparently was made for the Canadian market... maybe they made them slower than the ones made for the American boaters haha

These carbs have fuel lines coming up into side of carb with blue plastic cover and single screw holding them to carb bodies... each carb will have it own separate fuel pump diaphragm in them and exactly what I'm trying to source for him

What am I missing in my searches other than some dead brain cells, oh the 60's ��

Any help would truly be appreciated

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I’m putting it as a 1986 look here under 50 hp 4cyl 7143688 and up. Diaphragm kit 18-7815 you need to order the strainer and gasket separate.

I’m putting it as a 1986 look here under 50 hp 4cyl 7143688 and up. Diaphragm kit 18-7815 you need to order the strainer and gasket separate.

not sure if it’s an 86’ because I owned a new 1985 25hp black with red stripes and this one has the Gold stripes. Did they possibly use same carbs during this time ??

If it was Canadian made (Mississauga) the serials first (number) would be a "7" as in 0A7xxxxx - 0A8xxxxx would make it Australian.

Being a 0A1xxxxx makes it a US mfg model but immaterial since they all shared the majority of their parts, and particularly carbs.

With that serial (production) number of 0A133 it would minimally be a 1986 model. The alpha-numeric serials were first used with 1986 models. Models that were built in the second half of 1985, for sale as the new 86 models can be identified by their serials which start 0A9xxxxx - possibly used by Merc to indicate they were built before the actual model release.

Never even thought to check numbers on carbs and I’m 2 hrs away from them. Won’t know until this weekend

Finally made it to the farm last night to get a photo of the numbers on carb. Too large to insert photo so here it is anyways. 13644929 and not sure if last letter is a V or an upside down A..

With any luck this makes sense to one of you fine fellas to help me decifer what diaphragm kit/s I need to go looking for. Thank you

Fuel pump kit 18-7815 or 1399-5137
float needle 18-7295 or 1395-9022
flange gasket 27-75791
use the proper screwdrivers when removing the jets if you have to make them to fit tight in the slots they are normally real tight. Remove everything but the butterfly’s and soak overnight in carb cleaner. I always blast them with high pressure water first then follow up with air. Go to master tech marine and go to the section on rebuilding the carbs. I always surface the mounting flange lightly on a glass table with 220 grit paper just pull it in one direction only until it all shines the same. GL

Fuel pump kit 18-7815 or 1399-5137
float needle 18-7295 or 1395-9022
flange gasket 27-75791
use the proper screwdrivers when removing the jets if you have to make them to fit tight in the slots they are normally real tight. Remove everything but the butterfly’s and soak overnight in carb cleaner. I always blast them with high pressure water first then follow up with air. Go to master tech marine and go to the section on rebuilding the carbs. I always surface the mounting flange lightly on a glass table with 220 grit paper just pull it in one direction only until it all shines the same. GL

that is fantastic and I can’t express enough gratitude for your help for r this info. Although I’ve spent many years wrenching in small engine shops some 20yrs ago, hopefully I can find a shop with their carb cleaner tank I can soak these babies in overnight.

Back