Logo

91 evinrude 60hp VRO head gasket problems

Rossoj

Hi folks, I have recently purchased an evinrude as described above and it has been running like a bit of a dog. First thing I did was change the spark plugs...then cleaned out and rebuilt the carbs...then discovered she wasnt really firing right on the middle cylinder despite getting a good spark so took the head off her to find the gasket pretty much blown to bits and the cylinder head pitted quite badly where she has blown out.

So purchased a new head gasket and cleaned up the two surfaces as best as I could without scoring them in any way refitted the head gasket torqueing up in the correct sequence and to the correct torque of 18-20ft lbs. I took the advice I’ve seen online and avoided any type of gasketing compound (despite my gut feeling saying the pitted areas needed a touch around them) Fired her up this afternoon and she ran like a dream...for about 20 to 30 seconds 😩 then back to running like a dog. I think the gasket is passing water into the middle cylinder and effecting the mix to the point that it’s barely firing or not firing at all...I’d imagine I’m going to get told to check the compression on all cylinders which I do not have the pressure tester for 😣.

So as the engine ran I was also able to observe water weeping out from the head gasket and running down the outside of the casing...I torqued to the recommended 20ft/lb and then because of this increased the torque to 21ft/lb (didn’t want to go higher as 21 even seemed beyond my comfort zone). So my question really is...
do I increase the torque?
do I use an instant gasket compound?
do I skim the head (though obviously this will increase the compression)
or do I need a new head ( in which case the engine will most likely be scraped 😢)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Any damage to the cylinder wall and or piston on # 2.-----Does the tell tale hose still come off the side of the block ?-----Your location ?----Should be lots of good used heads available for that motor !!

Hi racerone there is no scoring to the cylinder liner or piston in number 2. I’m afraid I’m not sure what you mean by the tell tale hose coming off the side of the block? I’m in Northern Ireland so unfortunately I am fairly limited with regards to getting a second hand head with massive shipping and or import tax costs.

Post a picture of the " damage " on the head.-----In 1994 there was a service bulletin to move the tell tale hose to the top of the cylinder block.-----Post some pictures.-----How much is " massive " ?

Hope this works...here’s a photo of the cylinder head. And just check the pipe is still coming out the side...will get to changing it to the top ASAP

Hi again photos didnt seem to upload so here we go again... one shows the cylinder head with the pitting around where the water jacket is...the other shows the state of the head gasket when bringing the head top off. One of the bolts sheared on removal but was able to get it out with plenty of penetrating fluid a drill and a stud extractor thankfully.
I've also done a bit of research and have found second hand head for around the £300 ($400) mark...more than I would like to be paying but if needs must ill get one ordered up.
Plan for the weekend is to double up on the gaskets to give a bit more to compress on (as this has worked on a car cylinder head for me in the past) and also fill the badly pitted areas in with a gasketing compound so that the gaskets arent compressing against as bad a surface. If that doesnt work and a new head is needed anyway it wont matter that this one has been filled up with compound!
I will let yous know what the outcome is!IMG_2238.jpgIMG_2224.jpg

Opinions vary------I would take a flat piece of glass and some valve grinding compound.----Try and lap the imperfections out.---At least where the metal ring for the head gasket locates.----Might take you an hour and some effort.-----Removes a minimum of material and will not change compression.-----Not bad to save some coin.----The used cylinder head will be warped as they all are after years of service !!

do what racer says and get the head nice and level, or take the head to machine shop and get it skimmed.
I know what you mean about cost of shipping etc as i am in the uk too.
get the head skimmed and lt will b fine.

this damage is just salt water corrosion de to not being flushed after EVERY USE..
even if you keep the boat in water it can be flushed with fresh clean water easy enough (muffs or a bag when tilted).

60hp and 70hp is the same head..

personally i would get your one skimmed, it will be just like brand new

Back