Logo
Click for Honda Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Default BF225 Crankshaft Pulley Removal

Is there anyway to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt without the "special Honda tool"? I am trying to remove the pulley so I can put on a new timing belt.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Default Re: BF225 Crankshaft Pulley Removal

You will need a Srtap wrench

I haven't worked on this engine but looking only at the parts breakdown you would need a strap wrench, as tegweni indicated, to hold the alternator pulley along with the appropriate socket and breaker bar.

I have also used a chain wrench to hold pulleys like this but you need to be careful not to distort the pulley sheave... or groove... as some refer to it. Wrapping the chain in some cloth from an old bed sheet or a couple of cloth shop towels is a way around that

You may also run into the alternator pulley being wedged on the taper of the crankshaft. A large bearing puller is the safest way to overcome that without distorting and bending the pulley.

Resist the urge to use an impact gun on that bolt as that could cause damage to the crankshaft thrust washer.

Try Auto Zone for the above mentioned tools as they have a fairly extensive loaner program.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jgmo; 11-10-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Unfortunately, I tried an impact wrench then I saw the warning in the manual not too. The bolt didn't budge. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything further. I bought a strap wrench and attempted several times to remove the bolt. I don't have an official breaker bar, but I used a larger and a little longer socket wrench, but couldn't get the bolt to budge. The strap wrench eventually broke, but it was a cheap Harbor Freight one. She's on there pretty good, but I'll keep at it. Thanks again!

The good news is that you probably didn't hurt anything with the impact. I see shop mechanics violate this "rule" often and get away with it. It's just that you MIGHT hurt the crank doing this.

As I stated before, I haven't worked on this engine so I can't offer an easy short cut or method for loosening that bolt. I just wanted to remind you to check the manual you're working with to ensure you aren't dealing with something odd like left handed threads.

The only strap wrench likely to hold up doing this little chore is going to be one made from woven fabric like that on a ratchet hold down OR towing strap.
    As a matter of fact, you could fashion something that might be effective from one of those items and a strong piece of thick walled pipe.

Having a partner hold the pulley while you jerk on the breaker bar might help as well.

Check your manual for torque specs and to see if you should use a new bolt or thread locker when going back together.

Good luck.

Finally got the bolt off. Tried breaker bars, then went to boat mechanic (who called me back and said it wouldn't budge with their impact). Finally went to my auto mechanic and he got it off with a mix between impact and breaker bars. Took a while though. Now I'm trying to align all the timing marks to TDC #1. I was able to get the left camshaft pulley to line up with the TDC mark with #1, but the right side skips over #1 on the pulley. These camshaft pulleys have resistance initially when I start to turn clockwise and then they kind of pop into place at each number when I'm turning them clockwise. The right side is just skipping right over #1. Confused!

You may want to back off the rocker arms on that cam if you haven't already. It sounds like a cam lobe is going over center right at that timing Mark.

What does your manual say about the rockers?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you just said. Bear with me and my ignorance, It really is amazing what I've fixed on this motor with my minimal knowledge. The manual just says:

"If you have to turn the camshaft more than a few teeth of the timing belt to align the marks, turn the crankshaft 90 deg. clockwise from No. 1 TDC to lower the pistons. This will prevent the valves from hitting the pistons when you rotate the camshafts. Rotate the camshafts so that the marks align."

I rotated the crankshaft 90 deg. clockwise of its mark. Then I rotated the left camshaft to align with No 1. This camshaft skipped every other number as well, but No. 1 happened to be one of the numbers that it would land on. Then I tried rotating the right camshaft, but it would skip every other number, including No. 1. Are the camshafts supposed to be smooth when you rotate them? Like I said, mine have a resistance and then "pop" into place on a number, but skip every other number. Once again, please bear with me! Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Hmmmm. I'm not sure what the book is saying other than it's obvious that it's an interference engine and that is their approach to having you move the piston's so that the valves don't contact them while you're trying to line things up.

But, it's not working for you is it?

Each valve is opened when the cam rotates and the lobe of the cam lifts a rocker arm and it pivots and pushes on the valve stem..As the cam continues to rotate, the lobe becomes less pronounced and allows the rocker to pivot back away from the valve stem, relaxing the pressure on the stem and allowing the spring to fully close the valve.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...ARM/parts.html

It sounds as if one valve is causing you problems with lining up the timing marks.
    All I'm saying is that, if you can identify which valve is interfering with the process, you can "de-adjust" that particular valve so that the rocker doesn't exert any pressure on the valve stem as the cam rotates. If you look at the parts diagram in the link above, items 15 tappet adjuster and 24 tappet adjusting nut will allow you to this.

I understand that this may just confuse you more but I'm here to try and explain it another way if necessary. Just let me know.

Thank you very much for helping out with this. You are a wealth of knowledge. Yes, it is starting to get a little too technical for me, but this is how you learn right? My original plan was to just replace the broken pulley and throw the new timing belt on just to see if I did any damage to the valves. Haha, it turns out after the pesky bolt thing and now this timing issue, Plan A isn't so simple. I might just have to take it to a mechanic.

I'm happy to try to help. I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed but I remember my first overhaul on something bigger than a lawnmower so I know how you feel.

How do you eat an elephant?
    One bite at a time.

Before you throw in the towel though ,why don't you see if you can locate the valve that is throwing you a curve here.

If you remove the cylinder head covers, you will be able to see and access the "valve train". The 225 is a Basic V6 so there are 12 valves....2 per cylinder. As you rotate to the timing mark a few of the valves will be being pushed on. Only a couple will be pushed completely open and it will likely be one of those that is causing your mark to skip past.

Doing this will take commitment I know but success is achievable. Take a bunch of photos as you go and good notes help as well when putting things back together.

If this is just not for you, I fully understand and without the commitment needed you are better off getting some help.

Whatever you decide, good luck and please let us know how it's going.

The way I have done it is to not tighten up the valves, set the timing marks, then adjust the valves.