Logo

engine problem

cdub227

Hi there, I have a late 90's model mercury 115hp on my 19ft stratus that I just purchased. The motor will start and idle fine but will not plane out on its own. I have to push in the choke several times then it will finally plane out and run just fine until you back it down. then does the same thing when u try and take off again. Also it only does this when its in the water and runs fine at home. Any ideas I can try will be helpful thanks

Sounds fuel related from what you describe. Try hooking it up to a portable tank with new hose and primer bulb if your able to. Newer crap fuel hose can collapse internally causing restrictions in flow and primer bulbs do go bad over time (air leaks etc...).

Beyond that, check the obvious things like when was the last time the fuel filter was changed, carbs cleaned, fuel pump serviced, etc...

It only runs at idle on the top 2 cylinders.-----Bottom 2 carburetors kick in at 1800 RPM and up.-----Could be a problem with accelerator pumps.----That is if it is a 4 cylinder motor.----They all run just fine on a hose !

Back