Logo

Need a prop

1ton

Contributing Member
I have an old 1979 Procraft, 15' bow rider that I need a prop for. It has a 70HP engine on it with 13 splines on the prop shaft. Can anyone recommend a size and pitch for the boat? The old one is beat to pieces but best I can tell by measuring the old prop is about a 14" dia. Looking for an aluminium one. Thanks
icon6.png

I am sure my Mercury props are stamped inside the hub but I think my old Johnson had it stamped on the outside where it could be removed by wear

On OEM props the part number, diameter, and pitch are usually stamped on the outside end of the hub right around the spline insert.

For your application a 13 1/4" x 17P prop is really common on these 70HP engines. On heavy hulls a 13 3/4 x 15 is sometimes used, but that 17 pitch covers a broad range of hulls.

KJ

Get your engine model number and look in marineengine.com for the parts listing for your model number. In the gearcase section you will find all the prop sizes and their numbers that you can use. From there it is go to Michigan Wheel and Turning Point propellers websites and they have a prop selector, Michigan Wheel calls theirs "Outboard Sizing Analysis". Turning Point calls it "Prop Wizard". With those you can narrow it down to likely two sizes. From there it's matter of asking other people who have the same setup. If you have a tachometer that is the way to figure out which is the best one for you. If you do not have a tachometer, then just do all the above and make your pick and go with it. I'd recommend the Turning Point Hustler aluminum props because they have a hub that can be used on multiple props, so if your first choice is not optimal, you can buy another prop without a hub and it is much cheaper.

Do the search I recommended. Start from the beginning and put all the information on your engine and boat, check it out . For example, a brand new equivalent to 0382764 from Turning Point is under $120 and has a lifetime hub warantee. That's with free freight.

Last edited:
Back