Logo

1992 Capri Bayliner engine type

Getback

I need Help,, I am trying to figure out just what kind of engine is in my boat.From what i know so far it's a 4cyl 2 stroke Force.
On the engine it says "US Marine Power" Model #120ld92b,, Serial # 1050
Was hoping i could find a Manual for it.The oil pump was disconnected for some reason and the guy i bought it from added the oil
to the gas tank.Someone cut the oil feed line to the Carb or engine? And they also unhooked one wire lead.Maybe the pump gave out?
Does anyone out there in Boat land know anything about these engines? I was told they only made these for a few years.
And the motor sits vertical? Which means the spark plugs are vertical.Strange.
Thanks for any Help.

That's what I was afraid of.Well i'm not going to put in the water until spring anyway.So I guess I have plenty of time.
Thanks for the reply.

The 4 cyl. inline is nothing strange, lots of outboards have the inline 4 cyl.

The L drive (better known as H E L L drive) was only made a few years and replacement parts can be tough to find.
Parts like water pump impeller and ignition components are an easy find.
U-joints and exhaust bellows are the tricky stuff.

Things like the oil pump weren't dependable and got unhooked to save $$ as a rebuild can get expensive.

It always helps to add some pics of the unhooked lines and wires???

Thanks Jerryjerry05, Yes i should add some photo's. So your saying it's ok to mix the oil and the gas and put that in the gas tank?
I know that is what the previous owner did.The owner also told me the Ratio should be 50 to 1,,? Does that sound right? I heard 40 to 1?
I have one other problem with it,When you put it in reverse it jerks a little bit.Thought maybe it was a bad rubber bushing,But when i put it in
gear I cannot turn the prop.Could this be a linkage problem?

Yes 50-1 in the tank.
The hose from the oil pump should be blocked on both ends.

The jerking could be a couple of things??
Could be an adjustment, or the universal is wearing out, or the dog in the gear housing is worn??

Try to adjust it but remember the original settings.

If it's not real bad?? just drive it.

Thanks again Jerryjerry05,,,I'm new to this so bare with me..What is the "Dog"? How would I find a bad gear?
When you say adjustment do you mean Linkage? I'm still trying to figure out how to upload some pic's.
Thanks again.:confused:

Pics: I think you need 5 posts before you can add them.
When you get 5 there is a tab at the bottom of the quick reply .
It says Go Advanced open that and you'll be able to load pics.

Yes it a linkage adjustment.
Just remember where the original setting is.

The dog is inside the lower unit.

Find a parts breakdown and try to get familiar with some of the parts.
You'll have to take the gear housing apart to find the bad gears.

At this stage, I wouldn't try to disassemble anything.
Maybe find a local outboard guy who's not afraid of these motors.
LOT'S won't touch them :(

Thanks again Jerryjerry05,,,I suppose i need it in the water before i can adjust the linkage? Yes i might leave it to the pro's to fix it.
Well i won't put in the water until next spring anyway.I live on a Lake and we got about 5" of snow yesterday.Thanks for your Help.

Back