Logo

[2010 YAMAHA F 150 AETL] Lower unit

CHEZNF

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for my bad english .. I'm french.

I have an issue when shifting into gear Neutral to Reverse or Neutral to Forward. It's not operates smoothly when the remote control lever is shifted from Neutral to Forward or Reverse. I have checked each part separately and don't find issue ... I will probably change the current cables for cables PREMIUM POWERMATCHED. Some advice about this kind of cables?
In addition when re-installing the lower unit, I certainly missed the Neutral position and the Reverse is no longer accessible, but the Forward is OK ...
Do you think the shift rod push arm tool number 90890-06052 is necessary to doubtless find the neutral position or a common pliers is enough?
I screwed up and have to reinstall the linkage correctly. If you have some advise, tricks about lower unit mounting, please let me know...
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Your English is great. Better than my parlez vous francais.

Regarding the shifting from neutral into forward and neutral into reverse I presume you are talking about when the motor is running. I would make sure that both the throttle and shift cables are securely attached in the motor. The clip that holds them in place has been known to come loose which can affect either the throttle cable or the shift cable.

The motor should be in neutral when the lower unit is removed. When servicing the lower unit the shift control should not be moved. Having said that, it sounds like yours are out of phase. I have used a pair of channel lock type pliers with the jaws padded so as to not damage the shift rod splines. You can go in one direction to find reverse and then go in the other direction to find forward. Then split the difference which will be neutral. Once in neutral confirm it by making sure the propeller shaft turns freely in both directions. If it is difficult to shift the motor into a gear have someone turn the propeller shaft as it will help it to shift.

Reinstall the lower unit making sure the shift rod and shift shaft splines line up. Secure the lower unit in place with just one bolt. Running the motor on flush muffs start and let it idle. Make sure that it shifts freely from neutral to forward, to neutral to reverse, then back to neutral. If it does, install and tighten the rest of the bolts.

Hi Boscoe

Thanks for you accurate advices. They 're no doubt that both the throttle and shift cables are securely attached in the motor, howhever one of the issue is that when the motor is running the shifting from neutral into forward or into reverse is extremely hard.
In addition it's sure that the shift rod and shift shaft splines were not well aligned.
The lower unit removed, shift from neutral into forward or into reverse with a plier is quite easy but the neutal position seem to be not always at the same location.
I have ordered new " Premium Powermatched "cables which are strongly recommended by YAMAHA marine for this type of engine.
I hope this device will fix at least a big part of the issue ....

Back