Logo

Johnson powerpack/coil wiring

Eric Hoare

Contributing Member
On a Johnson 60HP 3 cylinder does it matter which wire from the power pack goes to which coil/spark plug?? ie Pink, pink/green, pink/blue

Yes, it does matter. If not correct, it will attempt to fire the affected cylinder(s) at the wrong time. What year motor are we talking about here? The colors do not ring a bell.

Cheers for that, YES they are orange in the daylight they looked pink in artificial lighing.
it is a 1988 60HP Johnson, on the lid it says VRO but it doesn't have the oil injection BJ60TLCCR....
Shouldn't be "pink"! Should be orange!

Orange/blue = top
Orange = center
Orange/green = bottom.

The 1988 model would normally be VRO equipped..... Apparently it has been converted back to pre-mix.

Make sure that you do not forget to pre-mix your fuel/oil..... and if you loan that rig out to your "closest friend", make sure that he/she is aware so as to avoid the statement....................

Oh Geeze, why didn't you tell me, the hood says VRO!... Translation: "It's not my fault!" :)

I have just received a new Power Pack from America (expensive especially the extra charges) and found that the colour code on the half moon three pin connector of the new unit does NOT marry up with the wiring from the coil power unit. There is brown, brown/yellow and black/yellow, as a tryangle of the connections the middle and one side are brown with the black/yellow on the opposite side (this is the old unit and coil feed) The new replacement had the black/yellow in the middle which when the plug is joined the wiring is wrong. I only realised this when I connected all the new unit in, had one back fire from the engine and nothing else. I know the black/yellow is ground and should not be connected to an AC power from the coild.. This may have even blown the new power pack but not sure. Surely this is not right?? any help

Last edited:
Cannot at the moment as they are both on my boat but the replacement part from America was the exact same number as the old one which was 583125 they both looked identical but it was only when it didn't work and just did one back fire did I realise the male and female wires didn't match up. The trigger wire connection matched up perfectly. Been onto the seller and they wanted to know the year which I sent them plus the serial number of the old one which was listed on their site.

just one other thing if you know it, what should be the volt reading from flywheel coil?? Thats not the 12volt for the charge system

they are now saying that my engine BJ60TL(CCR) is a 1998 model and not a 1988 as I had been informed which is another CDI number but how come the serial numbers where identical, this is very confusing???

they are now saying that my engine BJ60TL(CCR) is a 1998 model and not a 1988 as I had been informed which is another CDI number but how come the serial numbers where identical, this is very confusing???

We're confused too. "CC" in the model number translates to 1988. A 1998 would be "EC"

We're confused too. "CC" in the model number translates to 1988. A 1998 would be "EC"

Ye, me too. I just looked up the new code they gave me and it looks nothing like mine however the one I bought from them was identicle with even the same code number on it. Its just that the wires on the three pin plug were not in the right place to match up with the coil colours. This I only noticed when it back fired and wouldn't run which may have damaged the new power pack. Dont know which way to turn now???

I have now been notified that all the power packs in their stock are wired the same and that they are getting onto the manufacturer to resolve the problem. All they had to do was check their flywheel coil stock and see if the colours married up which I know they will not. Patern parts are manufacured cheeply and mistakes happen, its just that any mistake they make costs the buyer in cash, time and frustration and with stuff having to travel half way accross the world and greedy governments adding extra charges I find it disgusting...

sounds to me like your being messed around big time by the place who sold you the power pack.

you can unpick the connectors from the rubber bock if nice and careful, then put them in the correct place as in the original power pack.

why did you buy a new power pack ? what was wrong with you original power pack .

can i ask how much did you end up paying for it in English money of course ha ha....

I find its vey expensive to buy now from the USA with import tax and vat

next time you need a part go to COWES and see the blokes in the RNLI repair place, they used to carry lots of spares for the triples !!!

The other colors are in a plug.------No need to worry about colors.----But if somebody messed it all up look for corresponding wires from stator.----White goes to white.----Brown to brown etc----144 tell us why this is a puzzle and what is the model # of your motor.----How did your motor run last season ?

Back